No announcement yet.

Plexiglass vacuum chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve tried a lot of different things and ways for a vacuum chamber, I broke down and bought a Pyrex chamber and it’s the best I’ve found. Easy to clean up because it’s round. You know how easy Cactus Juice it to clean up with soap and water. I’ll never use anything else.

Comment

Yeah, I got one, too (in one of the picture above). It's definitely easy to clean. I just don't like the shape because the square pieces of wood don't fit neatly down in there, so I can only stabilize two pieces at a time. And I'd rather it be taller so when those bubbles rise really fast in the beginning, I don't have to worry so much about them going up in the valves and pump. But it does hold a vacuum well!

Comment

I tried a different gasket material, and this time it held for somewhere between two and three hours. That's an improvement. I ordered a vacuum gauge. If it turns out I can get a good vacuum by leaving the pump on, that'll be good enough for me.

Comment

I don't see how it could get any better than leaving the pump running. As any air enters, it will be pumped out.

Comment

Yeah, it just may not get as good of a vacuum if it's leaking in while being pumped out. But I guess it depends on how fast it's leaking in. I'll find out when I get my gauge.

Comment

The whole idea of a vacuum is to pump the air out of the wood so it can collapse the cell structure to a point of maximum absorption point. I say put a good gauge on it and run the pump constant. FWIW there are those that will tell you that you need a 5 cfm pump and that a 2 stage pump will pull a deeper vacuum. I say bull... 30 inches of vacuum is 30 inches of vacuum no matter what pump you use.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                I say bull... 30 inches of vacuum is 30 inches of vacuum no matter what pump you use.
                I am with you.

Comment

I've got access to pumps at work that will pull a vacuum down to about 5mTorr. I'd need at least 3/4" Lexan to make the box with, 208V ran to my garage............might have to look into this. lol

Comment

I think you are looking at it from a different angle that may not be correct sam. A constant running pump would be exactly the same thing as a container with a perfect seal. I think you are seeing it as a running pump will be pulling in air from the outside of the container if there is a leak. While this could be possible, the pressure should not change.
                    Last edited by LeanMachine; 07-21-2014, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                      I think you are looking at it from a different angle that may not be correct sam. A constant running pump would be exactly the same thing as a container with a perfect seal. I think you are seeing it as a running pump will be pulling in air from the outside of the container if there is a leak. While this could be possible, the pressure should not change.
                      A static closed container is just that. Nothing is removed and nothing is added because it is sealed. A container that is constantly being pumped down removes any air from the material inside the chamber and displaces it through the pump and the oil in the pump hence the reason the pump oil gets contaminated

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                        A static closed container is just that. Nothing is removed and nothing is added because it is sealed. A container that is constantly being pumped down removes any air from the material inside the chamber and displaces it through the pump and the oil in the pump hence the reason the pump oil gets contaminated
                        As usual, Terry's pretty
                        Much always right with anything that involves wood! Run your pump the whole time. (Spellcheck tried to auto correct to say "run your pimp"). Haaaaa

Comment

Working...
                        X