No announcement yet.

Emotions After the Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called wife one morning after getting the best wt at the time. She told me I sounder just like the guys on the hunting shows. I hung up. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The last 2 bucks I've killed have been pretty intense hunts.

One of them I was just sitting at the base of a big tree in the river bottoms in camo and the rut was going on. After not getting shots on 2 big bucks that moved through too quickly, I had one of my target bucks come walking straight at me before stopping at around 50 yards because he smelled me. He was stomping his feet so I took a head-on shot right as he jumped to run. Thought I missed, but spent an hour or so looking and found him about 150 yards off. Shot went through lower brisket and blew up his heart, no exit wound. I didn't think I'd hit him, so my emotions were down in the dumps followed by shocked excitement when I saw that white patch on the ground through the palmettos.

Last year's buck was an old, heavy bodied 8pt I had watched in the neighbor's pasture running younger, better bucks off all day. With about 10 minutes of shooting light left, I had a really nice, fat doe walk below me towards the feeder after nothing had hit it all day (tons of acorns). I was going to shoot her, when I heard the very distinct sound of a buck grunting. I paused and within about 20 seconds, he literally walked right beneath me following the doe. I could have spit on him. She took off into the brush (wasn't in the mood or something) and I knew he wasn't going for the corn. I took a free hand shot at him jogging at about 40 yards and drilled him, but after a hard shoulder shrug and grunt, he took off running into the brush. Happened so quickly, I'm not sure I breathed once in the brief time between hearing the grunt and shooting him. I was extremely pumped once I saw the shot hit and got the adrenaline shakes. Found him about 100 yards away piled up under some brush.

I never feel anything when I shoot does, but I do enjoy doing it. Usually watch them for awhile until I get the feeling they may move on and then take the shot.

Comment

It all depends on how good of shot I made (when bow hunting) lol. If I don't see the deer go down in sight, I actually have a pretty bad habit of becoming really anxious and nervous thinking that the deer may just be wounded. I usually spend time praying that I find the deer. If I am filming and see a great shot or see the deer go down, then I get pumped.

Comment

My son who is now 16 thinks I'm crazy. Every deer he has harvested has resulted in me kissing, hugging and beating him up at the same time. Last year my wife took a cull and of course I couldn't help it......... she got bear hugged and told me I was an idiot.

Comment

Working...
          X