LRGV NWR-Teniente

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRGV NWR-Teniente

I got drawn for the archery hunt on january 5-8th on . i am super excited for this hunt, but I have never hunted this far south. Wanting some advice from people who hunted this tract before. any input is welcomed

I was drawn for nov.17-20 ..
    I am very excited as well i have no experience with South Texas hunting but im sure it will be awesome .
    I did read on a old thread in here about people seeing 140 class buck down there
    hope someone can help us out with this...

Comment

you will have to tell me about the hunt after yours

Comment

Definitely .
        im not sure if im going to stay in a motel or my truck . i do not know the area and i would be upset to say the least if i were robbed lol.
        I know they say that you can NOT stay at the refuge so will see when i get there.
        Ill pray we will both be successful...

Comment

We stayed in town at a hotel the two times we went. Think there might be an Rv park a little north of the Wma.

Comment

Wma?

Do you know if and where we have to check in at?

Harvest anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke 4:4 View Post
              Wma?

Do you know if and where we have to check in at?

Harvest anything?
              sorry meant NWR...

there was no check in when we went. you just have to have a valid permit. there are 3 county rd that cut through it you can park along them anywhere. you just cant block the right of way.

blood yes but never took anything home. I gut shot a doe the first year and never could find her. this was 4-5 years ago. saw a lot but never could close on anything. 2 years ago I had a does dead to rights but passed at the last minute when a nilgai cow step out. miss read distance and shot under the cow. Next morning had same doe come out 15 yards. D-loop busted when i drew back and almost knocked myself out. I always hope to get drawn for this hunt because of a chance at a nilgai. no luck again this year on the archery

Comment

Originally posted by gbrick98 View Post
                I got drawn for the archery hunt on january 5-8th on . i am super excited for this hunt, but I have never hunted this far south. Wanting some advice from people who hunted this tract before. any input is welcomed
                We got drawn sametime...put in scouting hours think we usually go up on Wednesday start scouting and setting stands, google maps is your friend. They will be rutting pretty heavy about this time sit all day if you can hopefully we will have some cool weather, grunt rattle and do it some more. We hunted this period before couple years back and had good results. We usually stay in hotel in ramondville right off of 77, good luck we will be in white ford with gold trim on bottom.

Comment

hopefully we can do some good out there. do you know how many other hunters will be out there?

Comment

We will be there Dec 15-18. Looking forward to it! So am I correct in saying there is no orientation. You can scout a few days before and then you just hunt your dates? Of course with your permit on hand.

Comment

Still wandering myself if there is going to be some sort of orientation . Yanta 61 Now that is one heck of a hunt . I am guessing the best way to hunt down there is to make you own little brush blind and scout the sendaros??

Comment

no orientation, in fact the times I have been only seen one federal boy checking people

Comment

Teniente

Where do you apply for this hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke 4:4 View Post
                            Still wandering myself if there is going to be some sort of orientation . Yanta 61 Now that is one heck of a hunt . I am guessing the best way to hunt down there is to make you own little brush blind and scout the sendaros??
                            we always just try and tuck in somewhere... you can take tripods, bob ups, or maybe even some ladder stands. We just try and find where a bunch of trails cross and setup close to them. don't think there are may sendaros, if any.. I want to say there are 30 hunter every hunt but not sure if that's right, could be 60..

you can go to google earth and then click on street view and go down cr 10 and see what the terrane looks like down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcanman View Post
                              Where do you apply for this hunt?
                              online with the TPWD draw hunts

Comment

Working...
                              X