Goliath Grouper???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goliath Grouper???

Does anyone have any information on when, where and who to go with for a Goliath Grouper?? My dad is interested in catching one and I really don't know where the best place to do it is. Any info or leads is much appreciated.....pics are always welcome !

if i'm not mistaken they are a protected species. catch and release only

Comment

In for info. I would be happy with regular old grouper! I want some meat!

Comment

http://fishtenacity.com/ I went with captain Bo. Highly recommend them. Fish two yrs in a row with them and they are great!

Comment

Goliath grouper are a protected species, catch and release only in FL. That being said their population has dramatically increased to the point of being a nuisance on any wreck or bottom structure in the Gulf, from Tampa southward.
          PM me if you want some Captain recommendations out of Key West.

Comment

Don't have any recs....but man, i bet it would be heck of a battle to land one of those giants!
            Attached Files

Comment

No touchy.

Comment

Some dude speared one of those in North Carolina when I was growing up and his gun was strapped around his wrist. It pulled him so hard he couldn't get the strap off and got stuck in a rock cave the fish swam into and drowned. Things are no joke.

Comment

We caught and released 1 about 25 miles out of Yankee town Florida last June. And, we are pretty sure we hooked more, due to being broke off on almost every drop (not prepared for 250+ pound fish). If you have a boat and can find bottom structure, I think they may be easy to find nowadays in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    Some dude speared one of those in North Carolina when I was growing up and his gun was strapped around his wrist. It pulled him so hard he couldn't get the strap off and got stuck in a rock cave the fish swam into and drowned. Things are no joke.
                    A person would have to be a little limber in the head to shoot a Goliath Grouper with a spear gun, especially when it was tied around his/her body..
                    A big AJ is bad enough....

Comment

Catch and release is fine. Not worried about the meat, just wants the experience!

Comment

Originally posted by MTaylor View Post
                        http://fishtenacity.com/ I went with captain Bo. Highly recommend them. Fish two yrs in a row with them and they are great!
                        Thanks, I will pass along. Was Deidra there???

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          A person would have to be a little limber in the head to shoot a Goliath Grouper with a spear gun, especially when it was tied around his/her body..
                          Big power head.

Comment

I’ve seen several diving off Sabine Pass but never hooked one on rod and reel that I know of. Florida is the place to be for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Except that they used to do it all the time... they are often the reason they are protected is because they were so easily taken in the past they were massivly over harested... now ill bet they did have spear hooked to float not body

Comment

Working...
                              X