Legality of selling a pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legality of selling a pistol.

Is it legal to sell a pistol to someone in Texas since I live in Oklahoma?

Yes provided the buyer can own it, but you can't give it to them. You'll have to transfer it through an FFL.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
      Yes provided the buyer can own it, but you can't give it to them. You'll have to transfer it through an FFL.
      I was thinking if I went through an FFL dealer it would be okay. I just ain't trying to get in no sort of trouble so I wanted to make sure. I was thinking about putting a pistol on here and I didn't want to land myself in any trouble.
      Last edited by okrattler; 01-13-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

If it crosses state lines it will have to go through an FFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So all I have to do is get a copy of the FFL and send it back with the pistol?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            So all I have to do is get a copy of the FFL and send it back with the pistol?
            You don't need a copy of the FFL. Many won't give you one. If you've got any question about the validity of the FFL, check the number here: https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/. Once you've been paid for the gun, you just have to legally ship it to the transferring FFL. Check here for information about shipping firearms as an unlicensed person: https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons. You may find it cheaper to pay an FFL local to you to mail it to the transferring FFL.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
              You don't need a copy of the FFL. Many won't give you one. If you've got any question about the validity of the FFL, check the number here: https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/. Once you've been paid for the gun, you just have to legally ship it to the transferring FFL. Check here for information about shipping firearms as an unlicensed person: https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons. You may find it cheaper to pay an FFL local to you to mail it to the transferring FFL.

LWD
              Alright sounds good. Thank you sir. I can get an FFL dealer to send it that wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

You will need to send a copy of your drivers lic with the gun for the ffl's acquisition

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  You will need to send a copy of your drivers lic with the gun for the ffl's acquisition
                  What if I ever decided to sell a .410 that was given to me for Christmas one year? If it's not in my name then what happens? I assume that's just to see if the gun has been reported stolen or something and as long as it wasn't reported stolen I'd imagine it would be ok. But then again I've never sold a gun so I don't know. I've also never been in handcuffs and I don't want to start now.lol
                  Last edited by okrattler; 01-14-2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter...as an ffl you need to have a valid photo id from the shipper if it's from an individual or current copy of ffl if shipped from another dealer. This is for the acquisition. The receiving ffl will then either 4473 out your gun to the person who buys or could ship it to another dealer for the disposition.

Perfectly legal to gift a gun in your name or sell one that has been gifted.
                    Last edited by Artos; 01-14-2018, 07:05 AM.

Comment

You can still sell the 410 but the same rules apply.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

What if I ever decided to sell a .410 that was given to me for Christmas one year? If it's not in my name then what happens? I assume that's just to see if the gun has been reported stolen or something and as long as it wasn't reported stolen I'd imagine it would be ok. But then again I've never sold a gun so I don't know. I've also never been in handcuffs and I don't want to start now.lol
                        There is no gun registration in Texas. The FFL transfer process insures the purchaser can legally take possession of the firearm.

LWD

Comment

Awesome guys,thank y'all. So all I have to do is verify the gun is being sent to a valid FFL,sent from an FFL along with a copy of my drivers license with the gun.

Comment

I guess what got me to thinking about it is I know it's different with long guns for people in Texas buying guns in Oklahoma. If I'm correct if someone in Texas were to go to a gun show or something in Oklahoma and bought a pistol it would have to be transferred through an FFL,but with a shotgun or rifle they'd get to fill out paperwork and take it home that day. Or something to that affect so I wasn't sure how this would work but I assumed the same way basically.

Comment

Awesome guys,thank y'all. So all I have to do is verify the gun is being sent to a valid FFL,sent from an FFL along with a copy of my drivers license with the gun.
                              Close but not exactly. If you send it to the receiving FFL he will need a copy of your license. If you have an FFL send it then no copy of your dl is necessary. Using an FFL to ship a handgun can be cheaper than common carrier because an FFL can ship it priority mail. Us mere mortals, non-licensees in ATF-speak, cannot. Priority mail and a fee to the shipping FFL can be a cheaper and less hassle than next day service for a handgun.

LWD

Comment

Working...
                              X