No announcement yet.

Help Me Build an SBR AR15-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atf has said its perfectly OK to shoulder a stabilizer. Not much recoil on a suppressed 22 to worry about.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
      Atf has said its perfectly OK to shoulder a stabilizer. Not much recoil on a suppressed 22 to worry about.

Register 1 lower. Change out uppers. Those braces are awful. Very uncomfortable. I hate dealing with the ATF and paying the tax as much as anyone. But I've got several registered lowers and glad I do lol

Comment

They changed their mind at least a year ago. You won't ever see me doing it but I know some people who will still push the envelope.

The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item. Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.

Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol (having a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a smooth bore firearm with a barrel under 18 inches in length) must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the NFA

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download
        Last edited by WhiplashTX; 12-02-2017, 05:18 PM. Reason: fixed italics

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
          They changed their mind at least a year ago. You won't ever see me doing it but I know some people who will still push the envelope.
          They rechanged their minds. Quote from shockwave site. April of this year.

"ATF Says That Shouldering Shockwave Blade is Okay!

I just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman at ATF Tech Branch—who was fielding these calls today. (He was, understandably, very well versed on the subject—and very nice about it even though he’s been on the phone all day, repeating himself ad nauseam.) I identified myself and asked him specifically if the letter that’s making the rounds is limited to one company’s products–or if it applies to all pistol stabilizing braces. He said:*“The letter covers all pistol stabilizing braces, including the Shockwave Blade.”*So that settles that.

He then gave me a bit of further guidance for our customers:

By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)

“Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words. I believe this has to do with the “comfortableness” aspect.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.

So there you have it. Anything you read to the contrary on a*web forum, social media site, or industry blog is simple misinformation by people who are not being completely honest."

Comment

So there you have it. Anything you read to the contrary on a*web forum, social media site, or industry blog is simple misinformation by people who are not being completely honest."

Then the ATF needs to update their own website because that is where it is posted.

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
              Lower plus tax stamp for sbr eats 250-300 minimum of your budget. Leaving 500 for all the lower parts and complete upper... Not impossible, but you better start shopping sales.

Something to think about... Be careful running your suppressor under your rail. 22lr suppressors get dirty and can stick on barrel threads. You will want to be able to at least get a screwdriver in there to pry the suppressor base loose. Shouldn't be too big of a deal though, most rails have slots and holes you could use.

I know you said AR15, but don't discount the 10/22 either. With the 25 round mags it's essentially the same thing. Throw a tacsol sbx barrel on it and you will have a "short" semi auto rifle with plenty of budget to spare. I know for a fact you can pry a spectreII loose from inside the sbx shroud with a screwdriver. BONUS : No tax stamp cost or wait time.

Like stated before 4.5 inch barrel or less should keep bulk 22 subsonic. Any longer and you will have to run subs for the ultra quiet experience.

This is exactly the route I went.

If you really wanted a light weight dedicated 22LR SBR then I would buy an S&W M&P 15-22, file on a form 1 and cut the barrel down to whatever length you want it.

Then again if you SBR a regular AR lower, you can put any SBR upper on it legally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
              X