Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on which caliber and rifle to get to hunt with a suppressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on which caliber and rifle to get to hunt with a suppressor?

That seems to be the general consensus. Using supers with the silencer. I understand the lack of energy at distance though shooting subsonic so that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GlenB; 12-12-2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Use supers. Suppressors lose their luster quickly. You’ll begin to shoot suppressed only because it’s more pleasant, and no longer because it’s fun. Every new guy out there is chasing quiet, and a year later he could care less about quiet but more about the important aspects of the Can/gun combo. Repeatability, impact shift, added length, added weight, durability, mounting system, and customer service of said can company.

The beauty of suppressed shooting is it makes it almost impossible to pinpoint the direction of the shot. Even with a bolt gun and super Sonics it’s pretty easy to get 3-4 kill shots on a sounder if you can shoot decently. Shoot the furthest animal first, and the sound of the impact will help drive animals towards you a majority of the time.

Comment

I have a buddy that has a RAP .308 with a vortex crossfire scope and shoots it with a can. He is shooting Hornady Superformance 150 grn SST's. It is pretty quiet and deadly and he has killed a dozen does and same number of pigs at my place with one shot kills in the last three years or so. The can does not seem to effect accuracy, but it did effect POI. Quick and easy to sight in with can and start hunting.

Several times, he has killed deer and had the other deer near the one he shot have little to no reaction. Once, he shot a doe at 130 yards out of an elevated blind. There was a mature buck at 60 yards or so and he had to shoot right over his back to kill the doe. The buck picked his head up for a few seconds and looked around without ever looking towards the blind, then went back to feeding.

Animals can hear the report for sure, but it does not seem to bother them much. He has killed deer and pigs early in a sit. Generally, more deer or pigs will show up within a few minutes that don't seem spooked or aware of his presence.

His gun, without the can, cost less than $500.00 with scope and rings.

I have a RAP 6.5 Creedmoor and it is an easy half MOA gun with Hornady 143 grn ELD-X factory ammo.

My opinion is that any deer appropriate caliber offering in an RAP will work with .308, 6.5 CM, 6.5 Grendel, 7mm-08, 6mm CM, and .243 leading the way. If you want to shoot subs, then .308 is the way to go.

My experience with subsonics is mixed, but I think the right load could be effective at bow ranges and out to 50 yards.
        Last edited by El General; 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I second (or third) the rec for supers.
          .308 is a great caliber for that.
          7mm-08 is even better.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help and answers!

One more question. So if I’m shooting super sonic suppressed is a 308 going to be a lot quieter than a 300 win mag? Both full power. I figured the mag would obviously be a little louder because of the more powder and speed. I was just wondering how big of difference it was though.

Thanks!
            Glen

Comment

Originally posted by GlenB View Post

One more question. So if I’m shooting super sonic suppressed is a 308 going to be a lot quieter than a 300 win mag? Both full power. I figured the mag would obviously be a little louder because of the more powder and speed. I was just wondering how big of difference it was though.

Thanks!
              Glen

Yes. The 300 win mag is alot louder than a 308.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenB View Post

More gunpowder typically means more gas, which means more noise. All things equal, supersonic .300blk is quieter than 308 and both are quieter than 300winmag.

Comment

For your stated purposes keep is simple and just get a good ole 308. I’ve killed em at yardage way further than what you stated with a 308. Theres no need for a magnum until the animals get a lot bigger or a lot further away.

For subsonic I have both 300. Blackout and 458 Socom. 300 Blackout basically has about the same muzzle energy as a 45 ACP handgun. The 458 Socom with a 500 grain Bullet at 1050fps carried about 1250# of muzzle energy or 3-4 times as much as a Blackout.

I use a 500 grain expanding subsonic Bullet and have dropped hogs where they stood out to 60 yards with a shoulder shot.

The availability of up to 600 gain bullets in the 458 Socom is why I chose it over the bushmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    For your stated purposes keep is simple and just get a good ole 308. I’ve killed em at yardage way further than what you stated with a 308. Theres no need for a magnum until the animals get a lot bigger or a lot further away.

For subsonic I have both 300. Blackout and 458 Socom. 300 Blackout basically has about the same muzzle energy as a 45 ACP handgun. The 458 Socom with a 500 grain Bullet at 1050fps carried about 1250# of muzzle energy or 3-4 times as much as a Blackout.

I use a 500 grain expanding subsonic Bullet and have dropped hogs where they stood out to 60 yards with a shoulder shot.

The availability of up to 600 gain bullets in the 458 Socom is why I chose it over the bushmaster.

That’s what I’m having trouble finding is heavy enough bullets for my 450. I think I’ll do just that and get a 308. I’ll get a can I can swap back and forth from my 7.62x39 to a 308. May see what I can find for the bushmaster if not maybe trade it for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspyro21 View Post
                      More gunpowder typically means more gas, which means more noise. All things equal, supersonic .300blk is quieter than 308 and both are quieter than 300winmag.

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      Yes. The 300 win mag is alot louder than a 308.

It’s not linear though. I still shoot my 257 Weatherby mag suppressed without hearing protection. You are talking about to my ears at least a 22LR vs a 22 magnum. It’s not a huge difference.

Comment

6.5 with subs with can has a half MOA shift for me . However the groups are great . 200 yards ad beyond is like dropping cannon balls . I jest on that but is a larger amount . But its very deadly and have gotten up to 4 shots on the bolt gun and dropped all 4 .

With that said is it the best who knows its more so opinion .

I had a 300 BO in the past and lost interest sold it off .

When running sub ammo 6.5 308 or what ever its all nothing great I guess if you want to plat the bullet BC game you could .

Supers with can are much easier to deal with noise wise for sure . Out of a blind my 6.5 open is rather loud HA HA with a can much easier to deal with but still loud

Comment

I have a Remington 700 SPS 308 that came with a 16.5” threaded barrel from the factory. I can consistently shoot 3-shot 1” groups at 100 yds with Beck Ammunition Rex Expanding Subs. I shot 4 does last year from 50-130 yds. 2 dropped and two ran 30-40 yds before dropping. Good Stuff!!!

Comment

SilencerCo Omega Can

Comment

Not long ago I took possession of my Omega .30, and use it on a 6.5 Grendel AR and a 20" bbl 6.5CM RAR. Both rifles are currently fed factory ammo. The Grendel is my first suppressed AR, and the weight of the gun coupled with the filth generated by suppressor blow back has me thinking about parting it out and going with a Howa Mini-action in Grendel. Love the round, hate the filth in the DI AR. Both rifles have proven accurate out to at least 500 yards, the longest range I have access to locally.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
                                I have a Remington 700 SPS 308 that came with a 16.5” threaded barrel from the factory. I can consistently shoot 3-shot 1” groups at 100 yds with Beck Ammunition Rex Expanding Subs. I shot 4 does last year from 50-130 yds. 2 dropped and two ran 30-40 yds before dropping. Good Stuff!!!

I was looking at those rounds and was wondering how they did on deer that’s good to know!

Comment

Working...
                                X