Rookie Mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie Mistake

I finally picked up a pair of nock pliers today. I installed a nock 1" lower than my arrow for hybrid aiming. I thought the string had been rubbing my cheek. After practicing I realized the open side of the nock was cutting my cheek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a square on the string .. You will the nock in the right spot

Comment

Dale Karch of 3Rivers Archery shows you how to install a string nock. Products used include an Aluminum Bow Square (Item #6907), String Nock (Item #4151), an...

Comment

I will never use a metal nock again I serve my nocks on to the strings now. I literally ripped the end of my nose off using one of the brass nocks

Comment

Start with a brass nock until you find the spot you want. Mark the spot, take the brass nock off and tie a nocking point on.

I still use brass nocking points, especially in the tuning process because they can be moved so easily. Yes, you can move a tied on nocking point by twisting them up or down the string, but they can be stubborn sometimes. I find it easier to just start with a brass one.

Comment

I turned the nock around so the smooth side is on my cheek and it does not bother me now.

Comment

It may twist eventually. I have sent mustache hair or two down range. I suggest you learn to tie string nocks.

Comment

Rookie Mistake

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                It may twist eventually. I have sent mustache hair or two down range. I suggest you learn to tie string nocks.

I guess I have something new to learn this week.
                Thanks.

Last edited by JTBean; 06-19-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

What kind of string should I use; Brownell #4?

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
                    That will work. So will using bowstring material if you already have it.

Comment

Dental floss works well also.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
                        I use BCY Nock Tying Thread for all my tied on nock points.

Bisch

Comment

Rookie Mistake

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          I use BCY Nock Tying Thread for all my tied on nock points.

Bisch

.030? I'm not sure what size my bow string was made with.

Last edited by JTBean; 06-20-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Rookie Mistake

I have 14 strand D97 strings on all my bows. I use .024 Halo serving . The BCY nock tying thread does not say what diameter it is on it.

There is no one size is always right. You have to pick the size of everything so that you get proper nock fit on the serving.

I have read before that the thread used for tying nocks SHOULD be of larger diameter than the serving thread. Mine is not, and still works just fine. I never have nock points move on their own, yet I can easily move them whenever I want by screwing them up or down the serving.

Also, I have Brownell #4, and I think the BCY is a much better product for nock points.

Bisch
                            Last edited by Bisch; 06-20-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X