smokin a 100 lb hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smokin a 100 lb hog

Did a search and found one thread without much info.
    Am going on a 4-wheelin muddin trip next weekend. I am going to bring a hog around 100 lbs to throw on the smoker whole. I plan on injecting that sucker with a bunch of garlic butter a couple days before. Am looking for other tips such as rubs to use. We plan on cooking this thing slow, like 24 hours. I have heard a mixture of mustard and italian dressing on top of the rub works well to keep the spices in place. I am looking for any help on this available.
    Thanks

use vegetable oil first the sprinckle ur rub on top and mix it all together. Most of the seasoning are oil soluble. it will help break them down so they go into the meat.
    ur going to need to watch internal meat temps ribs will get done alot faster than butt and shoulders.

what size smoker do u have?

Meathead's AmazingRibs.com is the leading BBQ and grilling website, featuring 2100+ pages of recipes, techniques, cooking science, myth-busting, and hands-on reviews.

i use this site for my rib rub

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
      use vegetable oil first the sprinckle ur rub on top and mix it all together. Most of the seasoning are oil soluble. it will help break them down so they go into the meat.
      ur going to need to watch internal meat temps ribs will get done alot faster than butt and shoulders.

what size smoker do u have?

Meathead's AmazingRibs.com is the leading BBQ and grilling website, featuring 2100+ pages of recipes, techniques, cooking science, myth-busting, and hands-on reviews.

i use this site for my rib rub
      Not sure, it is at a camp we are going to. I think now I am going to take a couple smaller hogs instead of a 100 lbr. Will check out the web link, thanks.
      Had a couple replies on that other thread also, think we will be good to go.

Comment

use a standard bbq rub of equal parts..brown sugar, salt, pepper and paprika. the juices and rendering of the fat will provide plenty of moisture to hold the rub in place. but, keep a pan/pot of the rub mixed w/vinegar handy for basting. baste once an hour and keep the temp steady. if you do it right, these will show you the results

edit-dang, pics too big, let me try to resize and repost

there they are
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mrbill; 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM.

Comment

That looks good

Took care of the hog tonight, is sittin on ice now. Going to inject it tomorrow and throw it on the smoker late Friday night.

Comment

when you say you are going to inject it... what do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat85 View Post
              when you say you are going to inject it... what do you mean?
              I bought some liquid creole seasonings and injected it into the meat with a syringe.

Hog came out great.

Comment

sounds yummy!

Comment

yum

Comment

looks great

Comment

Looks Good.

Comment

Puerto Rican style - stuff whole olives down into the meat.

Comment

Looks Good.

Comment

How was it ? what temp cooked at and was it 24 hrs ?

Comment

Sounds Great

Comment

Working...
                              X