Shotgun help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun help

Ok, I have a Charles Daly skeet model over under that I was going to use to shoot clays with. My grandads gun, honestly don't know much about it, but I took it out today and the bottom barrel was soft striking the shells. Top barrel worked great...

That said, anybody worked on one? Or barring that any good shotgun Smith's in the fort Worth area
    Last edited by catslayer; 08-13-2018, 01:55 PM.

Lots of views... No help lol?

Comment

probably just needs a good cleaning.

every gun ive ever owned that has light primer strikes is because it was dirty

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
        probably just needs a good cleaning.

every gun ive ever owned that has light primer strikes is because it was dirty
        I'll open her up and verify grease isn't an issue... But it isn't,my grandapa didn't use greese ever

Gun hasnt been shot in more than 15 years... Has been cleaned yearly... You could eat out of the thing...heck bet it's cleaner than what I eat off of a lot of the time lol

Comment

I bet a good internal cleaning would help her out.

Comment

Could be wear on the sear. The bottom barrel was most likely the most used one, since that's usually the one fired first. Unless you only shoot doubles.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
              I'll open her up and verify grease isn't an issue... But it isn't,my grandapa didn't use greese ever

Gun hasnt been shot in more than 15 years... Has been cleaned yearly... You could eat out of the thing...heck bet it's cleaner than what I eat off of a lot of the time lol
              It's been completely disassembled and cleaned yearly?

If not, that's what we are talking about. Those guns are a little more complex to completely disassemble and clean compared to a pump or auto.

They rarely get completely cleaned and oiled. Sounds like it might be time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                It's been completely disassembled and cleaned yearly?

If not, that's what we are talking about. Those guns are a little more complex to completely disassemble and clean compared to a pump or auto.

They rarely get completely cleaned and oiled. Sounds like it might be time.
                Papa DID completely dissasemble, after he passed prob not... Like I said it hasn't been shot since he was alive.

I'm about to dissasemble and check... If I can figure out how to break into the receiver part that is... Never worked on over under...

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                  Papa DID completely dissasemble, after he passed prob not... Like I said it hasn't been shot since he was alive.

I'm about to dissasemble and check... If I can figure out how to break into the receiver part that is... Never worked on over under...
                  If you are not well versed in O/U actions/trigger mechanisms then I would refrain from disassembling it. You might be able work the firing pins by taking the stock off. If you can check the free movement of them and also if the bottom firing pin is broken/damaged and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                    If you are not well versed in O/U actions/trigger mechanisms then I would refrain from disassembling it. You might be able work the firing pins by taking the stock off. If you can check the free movement of them and also if the bottom firing pin is broken/damaged and go from there.
                    After taking apart it's simpler than most of my other guns, they kinda reminde me of how a pistol works, guide rods and springs. Was pretty straightforward once I could see it. That said I didn't take apart trigger mech or selector mech cause I knew they were fidly and smaller parts

Inside was clean, not perfect but cleanliness isn't the issue... I wiped it all out and down just to make sure.

I do think I found the issue... The "anvils" that the hammers fall on to strike firing pin( or just could be back of firing pin still looking for exsploded parts diagram) were mashed and beat to hell... Think this gun had a LOT of rounds through it B4 my grandad got it. The one for the under was noticably shorter than the upper... I have pics I'll post tomorrow...

Now I just need to see if I can ID the part so I can replace, biggest issue is I'm having problems iding the shotgun for sure... No way Ive found to look up serial number...

Comment

Try here for parts and schematic.

Shop for Charles Daly Shotguns parts and accessories with Numrich Gun Parts, the world's largest supplier of gun parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X