Comment

And....Now I'm hungry!

Comment

And now I want some ribs.

Thanks Smart!!

Comment

Can't go wrong with what was stated above

Comment

I'm not a big fan of using foil, but it's not wrong to use it either. Guys like Smart who posted above always post great info when it comes to smoking, and especially Smart when it comes to cold smoking! I do everything as stated as above but don't use foil. When the ribs are on for 4-5 hours I'll start checking them for doneness. I use 2 sets of tongs and pick up the rib by both ends. I bend the rack and when the meat starts breaking easily they are done. You want the meat to stay on the bone, but pull off easy. Do it a couple times and you will learn what to do and what not to do.....but whatever you do don't burn them!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              Long live the KING!!!!
              I guess that makes you Zeus?...

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              Thanks for the detailed post Smart.
              Originally posted by gmac View Post
              And now I want some ribs.

Thanks Smart!!
              Sure thing..
              Last edited by Smart; 07-01-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I'm pretty much the same way as most of these fellas above on the times....

I'll peel the membrane and trim off any excess fat...trim to St.Louis style ribs....then cover both sides in rub of your choice. You can use mustard or oil as a binder if you want.

I smoke at 250-275 for 2 hours (3 if pit is 225) and spritz at one hour and second hour.

I then double wrap pouring a half cup of apple juice in the bottom of the foil. If I want a sweet rib, I'll cover the top with liquid butter with a silicone brush and brown sugar as well as a light dusting of more rub. If a savory rib is the choice for the day, I add the squeeze butter and the light dusting of rub.

Put it back on the pit for another 2 hours....

If it is to be a dry rib, I open up the foil after the 2 hours above and let the bark set up for 45min -hour.

If it is a wet rib with BBQ sauce, I open to let it set up for 30 minutes, add BBQ sauce with a silicone brush and let that carmelize for another 30. For the BBQ sauce, I usually take some of the au jous from the foil and mix with Head Country or SBR Sweet and Spicy to cut it then glaze with a silicone brush.

I'll usually let them rest in the foil closed back up for 30 minutes while I prep the other food.... although resting for a thin cut of meat like ribs is not as important as a brisket or PB.

Flip over the rack so you can see the bone and cut accordingly. Cutting from the top is a guessing game..

This is what I do. It's probably a little OCD for some, but it works for me. There are a million ways to do it..

[ATTACH]723539[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723535[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723538[/ATTACH]
                I am going to replicate this on Saturday July 4 th

Comment

I got huuuungggry all a sudden!

Comment

Pulled a package from the freezer and it turns out I bought spare ribs. Anything I need to adjust?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Pulled a package from the freezer and it turns out I bought spare ribs. Anything I need to adjust?

mine above are spares cut to St.Louis style....you are fine

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        mine above are spares cut to St.Louis style....you are fine
                        Thanks

Comment

Using Caz's rub recipe... here we go.

Cut them into St Louis style and split the rack in two since it goes in an electric.

The smoker is heating up and this will give the meat some time to settle.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

And we are off....

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
                                X