Lift for wrangler unlimited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift for wrangler unlimited?

What lift do the jeep guys and gals on the green screen recommended for the wrangler unlimited? I want to do a 3.5 lift and probably go with 35s for tires. What gear ratio have yall had the best improvement with moving those bigger tires?

Depends a lot on year model, motor, transmission and driving style. Whether or not you want optimal MPG or better off road performance.

RANDYS Worldwide is the leading supplier in the United States for differential gears, axles, installation kits, small parts, tools, lockers, limited slips, drivelines, and more.

On my Wrangler (2006 Unlimited Rubicon) my plan is to go 3.5" lift, 35's and 5.38 gears. I have the 4.0L and the dreaded 42RLE auto trans.

Comment

With 35s, my 2016 with the 3.73 gears is a tad sluggish and slow... not terrible and I can deal with it because it's a Jeep not a sports car however that it has recently became my DD, I will likely regear. Probably to 4.88...
      I only did a 2.5" body lift and went to flat fenders...

Comment

Oh, and I like the Metalcloak lifts. I put one of theirs on my Cherokee and it rode better than stock with great articulation offroad.

Comment

I've got 4.88s on mine with a 4" lift, 35s and the 6-speed transmission. Wouldn't go any lower or your RPMs will be screaming at highway speeds...

Comment

Metalcloak, AEV, Rock Krawler, Terra Flex, all make solid lifts.

Comment

just my 2 cents

I've had a 4.0L, 5 spd transmission with 35x15.50x15 tires with 7" of lift on a 1999 Wrangler. I swapped gears to 4.56 and still was able to get decent mileage in the 15-17 mpg range. Like someone posted earlier, the lower the gear ratio, the higher the rpm's are at highway speed. There is a happy medium. I've also had a 2008 unlimited wrangler with 3.5" lift and automatic transmission and 35x13.50 tires that I swapped in 5.13 gears. That 3.8L V-6 was very sluggish to the point that before the re-gear, on flat ground, in drive, the jeep would not move. The 5.13 gears were a step up in performance, but 5.38 might have been even better.

Comment

Jeep is a 2017 with the 3.6 liter. I did all the reading about the pre 12 models with the minivan engines. So I went brand new.

Comment

I would go 3.5 and either metal cloak or rock krawler. I personally am running rock krawler on my 2 door and it rides better than stock. Gears, probably 488s or even 456s would work well. 488s are enough, if you get the bug to run 37s on it.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                    With 35s, my 2016 with the 3.73 gears is a tad sluggish and slow... not terrible and I can deal with it because it's a Jeep not a sports car however that it has recently became my DD, I will likely regear. Probably to 4.88...
                    I only did a 2.5" body lift and went to flat fenders...
                    Yours is slow ? My wife's 2015 hauls a**.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                      Yours is slow ? My wife's 2015 hauls a**.
                      With 35x12.5x17" Toyo MT's? Yes it'll go 90 if I want but it's a tad sluggish getting there...

Comment

I did a ton of research and went with the 3.5 Game Changer by Metal Cloak on our 2013 Rubicon. The axles are the stock lockers with 3:73 ratio and am running 35's. I've had no problems and the ride and suspension travel are great. The tires suck though. I went with M/T's. Don't remember which one specifically but they are about to go away. They lane walk terribly.

Metalcloak JK Wrangler Jeep Suspensions & Lift Kits that achieve the most wheel travel and articulation of any short arm bolt-on kit. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                          With 35x12.5x17" Toyo MT's? Yes it'll go 90 if I want but it's a tad sluggish getting there...
                          Got the same tire size and a 3 in lift n it's definitely not slow.

Comment

I had. 2.5" Tera flex on my 2013. No complaints

Comment

We have a 4" BDS Lift and 4.88 gears on our 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X