Deer heart recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer heart recipes?

Decided to keep the heart out of an axis deer my wife shot last week but I have no idea how to cook it. Any suggestions???

Simply chicken fried with gravy.

Comment

Deer heart fajitas are fantastic

Comment

RAW! like a cave man would do it.

Comment

My breakfast recipie

cube one heart into 1/2 bite size pieces and season to taste, coat with flour and fry in 1/8" of hot vegetable oil. when browned but not cooked through, I add on can drained cubed new potatoes, let this fry till nearly done and add 6 beaten eggs. Cook till eggs are done. A one skillet "camp" breakfast. Add katsup, tobasco or picante sauce if you like.

Comment

Does it have a beef time consistancey or is it more like liver, aka "The most disgusting thing on earth!"

Comment

Comes out to cruncy to me

Comment

I soak it in a brine for a while.

Then slice it into 1/2" thick pieces.

Season, dip in egg, and roll it in flour, then pan fry it.

The consistency will be dense and maybe a little chewy. It is an extremely dense muscle mass. As for flavor, it will be very flavorful (some may call it rich), but nothing at all like liver. It is one of my most favorite things to eat.

We will also sometimes allow it to smother in a pan on a bed of carmelized onions. It will turn out a little more tender that way.

If it is crunchy, it is WAY overcooked.

Comment

Do a search on here for Elk Heart Recipes. I posted mine a while back and its a good one. Just don't want to type it all out again.

Comment

Here you go! Direct from Steven "Meat Eater" Rinella. I love his shows.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDcydLG5gQ&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDcydLG5gQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Boil it in crab boil, let it cool, put it in the frig over night. Slice it thin for sandwiches.

Comment

We cut ours into 1/2 wide strips and pound it out /tenderize. Chicken fry in peanut oil. Its great served with biscuits gravy.

Comment

We cube it roll in flour, salt and black pepper fry it up and serve with eggs and red chile.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                            Here you go! Direct from Steven "Meat Eater" Rinella. I love his shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDcy...layer_embedded
                            This guys rocks! Love his show and was really gonna try his heart cooking method out, but I didn't kill anything this year to try it!

Comment

Just fillet it out into nice little steaks by cutting the chambers from it.

Then oil it lightly, shake a little salt and pepper on it and lay it on a hot grill just long enough to heat the raw off of it. Don't over cook!

it's great!

Comment

Working...
                              X