Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum Sealers

I finally broke down and got a Weston Pro 2300 vacuum sealer at the first of the year. Got tired of my old Foodsaver not sealing properly and ruining my meat. I was pretty excited about putting the Weston to use and started out with some ground burger meat (venison/pork mix). To my disappointment, the Weston didn't work the way I wanted it to. The Weston did not take all of the air out of the bag and left small to medium air pockets around the ground meat. To me, a vacuum sealer should be sucking the air out, getting the bag tight, and not leaving any air around the meat. I even tried different things to try to solve this problem - put less meat in the bag, ball the meat up vs. flattening it, leaving space all the way around the meat between the meat and the side of the bag, etc. However, no matter what I tried I just couldn't get a tight bag with no air pockets. I even threw some deer jerky in a bag to see if it would work properly and it worked exactly how I thought. But for whatever reason I could not get the bags with burger meat to vacuum tight without air pockets.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with my Weston?

I've even considered just returning it and going big by getting a vacuum chamber. A buddy of mine just got the Vac Master VP215 (after upgrading from the Weston 2300) and has not had any issue with the burger meat. The chamber seems to work great. The price is the only thing holding me back.

Does anyone have experience with either of these vacuum sealers? What are yalls thoughts/opinions on either one of these vacuum sealers? Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'm not sure what Weston model my buddy has but he's been happy with it for a couple years and doesn't have that issue. I have a Caso that I love and haven't had that issue with ground meat

Comment

I use a food saver and don't have any sealing or vacuuming issues?

Comment

You having issues with 2 brands that other people aren't having issues with.

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post

I have had issues with a foodsaver

Comment

What foodsaver would you guys recommend?

Comment

I have the Weston too. Same issue with ground burger as well. I got it as gift from the wife, so I don't really complain.

I would love a chamber sealer, but I would need to test it before I spent that much on one. Do they really work that much better?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                I have the Weston too. Same issue with ground burger as well. I got it as gift from the wife, so I don't really complain.

I would love a chamber sealer, but I would need to test it before I spent that much on one. Do they really work that much better?
                Based on what I've seen and heard from my buddies that have a chamber sealer, they work pretty awesome. They suck all the air out of the bags and don't leave little pockets. I know meat processors have top of the line chambers, but I've never encountered a meat processor with air pockets in bags of ground meat or any other meat. But I do agree with you - before dropping that much $ I would like to hear more about them from TBHers that have them.

Can't believe there was actually someone else who has had the same issues with a Weston....thought I was the only one...

Comment

Best solution is to freeze before sealing.

I just put a paper towel in the top to collect any moisture and just seal it.

Comment

I don't vacuum seal my ground meat.
                    I've found that the fastest way for me is to use the sausage stuffer attachment and use the LEM ground meat bags.
                    It's airtight when I'm done.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Vacuum Sealers

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post

I've found that the fastest way for me is to use the sausage stuffer attachment and use the LEM ground meat bags.

I used to go that route, I find that it stacks easier and less clean up to go the vacuum bag route. It also thaws quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I used to go that route, I find that it stacks easier and less clean up to go the vacuum bag route. It also thaws quicker.

That looks nice! Like how it stacks. It would thaw faster like that.

How is it less clean up? What's your process?

Comment

This is my thinking as well. I also used to do those rolls but my fat hands got tired of making a mess stuffing those bags.

But like he mentioned doing it with a stuffer maybe alot easier.

I have also found making the HB meat flat like that, helps the sealer get more air out

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post

yeah right. everyone knows food saver is entry level stuff..

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            I have had issues with a foodsaver
                            as have we all

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                              we used to do it this way too but as another pointed out, takes longer to thaw and I dont think you can really say its air tight, since you cant see through the bag to tell.

i've used my stuffer attachment to stuff link sausage into casings alot before I bought a stand alone stuffer and both are not what I would call "air tight". Thats why they make the little sausage pricker deals to pop the air pockets before you smoke the sausage. We all do our best to pack it tight in the stuffer, but it does happen.
                              Last edited by BSOB; 01-24-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X