No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I’ve listened to all elk 101 podcasts and western hunter... any other good podcast out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My cow from 9/11

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        Ok I’ve listened to all elk 101 podcasts and western hunter... any other good podcast out there?

The Rich Outdoors
        Hunt Backcountry (exo mtn gear)
        Gritty Bowman
        Elk Talk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          The Rich Outdoors

Hunt Backcountry (exo mtn gear)

Gritty Bowman

Elk Talk

Thank ya sir

Comment

The Elk Thread

3 questions...

1) what’s the most important tip for a greenhorn elk hunter.

2) I’ve been e-scouting and THINK I’m looking at good country, but how do you know with never setting foot some where it’s got an elk population?

3) for a guy with zero preference points any where what’s some of the best high odd draws to look into? I’m goin OTC next year in CO

Comment

Kifarucast

Comment

3 questions...

2) I’ve been e-scouting and THINK I’m looking at good country, but how do you know with never setting foot some where it’s got an elk population?

3) for a guy with zero preference points any where what’s some of the best high odd draws to look into? I’m goin OTC next year in CO

Ok here is my opinion

#1: buy tags, don’t worry about the best gear. You need to hunt elk to get elk hunting experience. People want the best and newest gear first, then they go hunting. But all that gear can’t replace boots on the ground experience. Just go!! Also, chase every bugle once you hear one.

#2: everything will look way way different once you have boots on the ground. There are elk all over the place, and no matter what features people say to check out, elk are where you find them. My best advice about e scouting is have a plan a-f. Keep checking areas out until you find elk sign then stay put.

#3: get a GoHunt account and do you’re homework!! I’ve spent no joke hours upon hours researching this exact topic. Colorado and Idaho have lots of opportunity.

Comment

3 questions...

1. You need to be ready to kill an elk at all times. Focus and positive attitude are key, because parts of your hunt are gonna suck.

2. Call the local biologist to get some ideas about where to focus your scouting, access, road closures, etc. And, then call him a week or two before your hunt. If I had been focused and ready, this would have gotten me a good bull opening morning last year.

3. That is going to vary year to year. I'd sign up for every subscription service you can get (Huntin Fool, GoHunt, etc.) They are alot cheaper than tag soup. Also, New Mexico has terrible odds for many units, but you have the same chance as every other non resident.

Comment

3 questions...

1) just go, elk are where you find them(this week I have found elk at 5k to 9k ft, and everything in between
                    2) you don’t, you just think it meets food, water and cover, often it doesn’t Look same in person, refer back to #1
                    3) you need to have a draw plan... Idaho and NM have a Non PP draw, if you can afford the entry and license, CO should be a back up.

4) experience is gained only in person regardless of unit/state/ etc. don’t over think it. Tons of bow hunters kill elk by walking, spotting, stalking(bedding/cutting off/sneakin) and killing, and they don’t even call.

PS Found a box, will ship Monday when I get back in town. Headed back out to chase deer.

Comment

3 questions...

My Opinion:
                      1) Finding elk is the hardest part, next to keeping a good attitude on the nth day when you still haven't found elk. Expect to work for it and make sure your 4th and 5th back up spots aren't your last back up spots or you may find yourself overwhelmed and heading home early.

2)Without ever stepping foot in there, you only know what you know. Once you do find elk or elk sign, try to really diagnose the area and find out why the elk are there and what signs you can identify from that on Sat/Topo maps. Utilize the **** out of GoHunt/OnX/etc. The info on those websites is worth gold.

3)Again get a GoHunt account. There are some different discount codes you can use when you sign up as well.

When you walk around a little bit in the mountains, it's pretty easy to figure out why only ~10% of elk hunters kill an elk. ~90% of the guys don't have what it takes and are usually within spitting distance of the trail/bottom of the mtn.

--2nd year western hunter who hasn't killed an elk yet but got dang close!

Comment

We are headed up to Gunnison Friday morning early. This is our 4th year to hunt this and we are going a little later to try and catch the bugle. Has anyone heard if they are loud up there in that area yet?

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                          Ok here is my opinion

#1: buy tags, don’t worry about the best gear. You need to hunt elk to get elk hunting experience. People want the best and newest gear first, then they go hunting. But all that gear can’t replace boots on the ground experience. Just go!! Also, chase every bugle once you hear one.

#2: everything will look way way different once you have boots on the ground. There are elk all over the place, and no matter what features people say to check out, elk are where you find them. My best advice about e scouting is have a plan a-f. Keep checking areas out until you find elk sign then stay put.

#3: get a GoHunt account and do you’re homework!! I’ve spent no joke hours upon hours researching this exact topic. Colorado and Idaho have lots of opportunity.
                          this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                            My Opinion:
                            1) Finding elk is the hardest part, next to keeping a good attitude on the nth day when you still haven't found elk. Expect to work for it and make sure your 4th and 5th back up spots aren't your last back up spots or you may find yourself overwhelmed and heading home early.

2)Without ever stepping foot in there, you only know what you know. Once you do find elk or elk sign, try to really diagnose the area and find out why the elk are there and what signs you can identify from that on Sat/Topo maps. Utilize the **** out of GoHunt/OnX/etc. The info on those websites is worth gold.

3)Again get a GoHunt account. There are some different discount codes you can use when you sign up as well.

When you walk around a little bit in the mountains, it's pretty easy to figure out why only ~10% of elk hunters kill an elk. ~90% of the guys don't have what it takes and are usually within spitting distance of the trail/bottom of the mtn.

--2nd year western hunter who hasn't killed an elk yet but got dang close!
                            This also..

Comment

The Elk Thread

There were 2 separate griz attacks in SW Montana. Two guys got off lucky, there’s a picture of them in Shedhorn Sports in hospital blues buying new clothes. The other hunter was not as lucky, he was brought to Sheridan Medical Center for initial care then up to Butte. All they’re saying is it’s serious. Please say a prayer for him and BE BEAR AWARE.

I saw almost 100 elk near our house at sunset, they’re smart enough to stay on ranches which do not allow hunting. I’m going to the national forest tomorrow and hunting the closest area. The griz are starting to really concern me since I’ve hunting solo in other areas where they are. Bear can be anywhere but there’s no recent sightings locally.

Comment

Originally posted by urinsuranceguy View Post
                                We are headed up to Gunnison Friday morning early. This is our 4th year to hunt this and we are going a little later to try and catch the bugle. Has anyone heard if they are loud up there in that area yet?
                                I hunted gunnison for the first 2 weeks.. left last Saturday and they were pretty quiet. I'm going next year the last 2 weeks to try to catch the bugle. It was real hot and dry the first week got more wind and rain the second .. cooled off a bit before we left..

Comment

Working...
                                X