Camera Placement in Spring/Early summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Placement in Spring/Early summer

Some of you guys are getting some pretty sweet velvet pics. I've given up putting any cameras out in the spring because I never can really figure out where they're using enough to get many good pictures. Come August or so, I can start patterning them and start getting plenty of pictures, but I can't figure the spring out.

Ive been seeing a good group of bucks in an area for a few weeks now, so I put a camera out a few days ago m. Checked it yesterday, nothing! I know they barely move in the spring, just wondering what you guys key in on for patterns in the spring? Seems like a crapshoot in my area.

For your scenario, I would recommend putting out at least a bag of corn near the camera. Should get you plenty of pics of those deer that you have been seeing as well as anything else that might wander by. Next best place would be a well used trail that the deer tend to travel. Should be fairly easy to pattern the bucks this time of year.

We always get lots of good pictures but the cameras are watching protein feeders this time of year.

Comment

maybe try a plot watcher, see where they enter a field and set up a camera there?

i have always wanted a plotwatcher!

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
        For your scenario, I would recommend putting out at least a bag of corn near the camera. Should get you plenty of pics of those deer that you have been seeing as well as anything else that might wander by. Next best place would be a well used trail that the deer tend to travel. Should be fairly easy to pattern the bucks this time of year.

We always get lots of good pictures but the cameras are watching protein feeders this time of year.
        Yea I might try that. Hard to get their attention this time of year around us. They don't seem to be very consistent on travel routes and it's hard to get their attention off of beans and clover.

My only aversion to using corn is the 100s of coon pictures that inevitably come with that.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
          maybe try a plot watcher, see where they enter a field and set up a camera there?

i have always wanted a plotwatcher!
          I've seen those advertised. I will look into one or two.

Comment

Hand corn. Bucks don't move a whole lot but if you consistently keep hand corn out you will eventually start getting some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
              Hand corn. Bucks don't move a whole lot but if you consistently keep hand corn out you will eventually start getting some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I'm lucky enough to have a few good bucks running around, but I've never had any luck killing a good one baiting.

We work on our deer habitat and I try to find them where they want to be. I can pattern them like clockwork in late summer, but they usually shift again about Sept. 15 when they all get rubbed out.

I was just wondering how you guys get such good pics in the spring.

Comment

I have the same problem.
                I had a camera out for a week and had almost 1500 pics of just does and coons even though I know there's bucks around there.

Comment

Working...
                X