TSAA "TOTS" series - an excellent outdoor target round for barebow archers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSAA "TOTS" series - an excellent outdoor target round for barebow archers

If anyone here has ever been curious about trying "target" archery but didn't know where to start, consider shooting one of the TSAA "TOTS" events.

Texas State Archery Assn. is a target archery organization that traditionally follows "fita" (now "World Archery") rules and shoots Olympic-style competitions on flat fields with big round bullseye targets. But we also do some things that might appeal to more traditional archers as well.

First, the TSAA state field archery event will be held in Eagle Lake the last weekend of this month. Field archery was the predecessor to 3-D, and was the fastest growing sport in the U.S. back in the 50's and 60's. It was so popular in fact that years ago, the NFAA was created to devote their attention to field archery. However, fita/world archery and the NAA (now USArchery) never dropped field archery and we still shoot it to this day. The state championships will be shot on the Blaschke game farm between Eagle Lake and the Colorado river. A month later, TSAA will host the U.S. National Field Archery Championships at the same location, and that event will be attended by the best archers in the U.S., including Olympic medalists, and world champions in all three disciplines (recurve, compound and barebow). It's also the qualifier for the World Field Championships that will be shot in Croatia later this year. So yes, it's a rare opportunity to qualify for a chance to represent the US at a world championship event, without ever having to leave Texas!

Second, the Texas Outdoor Target Series, or "TOTS" is a fun, relaxed outdoor target event that features a 108-arrow round shot at 3 distances. Adult barebow archers will shoot at 60/50/30 meters on three different sized target faces. These events were designed to introduce new archers to outdoor target archery, and provide a season-long series in an "outdoor league" atmosphere that leads to a series championship event in the fall.

The first TOTS event was shot in Columbus, TX on March 22, and the next will be in the San Antonio area (Floresville) on April 12. Another TOTS event will be held in Victoria in May.

For more information about these events, look up the TSAA website at texasarchery.org.

You can PM me here for more info as well.

Hope to see you out there!

John
    Last edited by Limbwalker; 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM.

Our club (Cowtown Bowmen) just put in a field archery course. I'm not completely sure how that game is played but it looks like a great challenge and a nice change of pace from shooting at foam critters.

Comment

jerp, don't be surprised if you find you enjoy it even more than 3D. It's a real nice change of pace. At one time (In Howard Hill and Fred Bear's day) Field archery was THE biggest game in town.

Comment

Our club here in Abilene used to be the TFAA state range, and even after that was moved we still had a range set for it. Me & a Buddy of mine used to love shooting those targets, but the club finally did away with it to make more room for the 3D courses.

John, I will be looking forward to an opportunity to come shoot there with you someday.

You have to handicap me 100 points.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
          jerp, don't be surprised if you find you enjoy it even more than 3D. It's a real nice change of pace. At one time (In Howard Hill and Fred Bear's day) Field archery was THE biggest game in town.
          Back then, field archery was pretty much the ONLY game in town!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            John, I will be looking forward to an opportunity to come shoot there with you someday.

You have to handicap me 100 points.

Rick
            Rick I've been keeping up with your shooting threads. The only way I'm spotting you 100 points is if I get to pick your equipment - like maybe a bow from the toy aisle at Walmart and arrows with suction cup tips? That way I might be able to keep it close!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Rick I've been keeping up with your shooting threads. The only way I'm spotting you 100 points is if I get to pick your equipment - like maybe a bow from the toy aisle at Walmart and arrows with suction cup tips? That way I might be able to keep it close!
              Yea, what jerp said! ha, ha.

Back then, field archery was pretty much the ONLY game in town!

Bisch
              Bisch, there was Olympic-style target archery. York rounds, American 900 rounds, and eventually the 4-distance "fita" rounds, etc., shot on flat fields...

Field archery deviated from that age-old style of archery and grew into its own sport.

Eventually, Field archery clubs started to replace paper bullseye faces with animal faces, then paper animal faces (like the ones I shot in the 70's) were replaced with 2-D foam, and then finally 3-D foam.

People often ask me if I ever shoot 3-D. My answer is usually that I shot 3-D so long ago, it was 2-D ! ha, ha.

I can still remember the day that Nacogdoches Bowhunters got their first shipment of Mackenzie 3-D deer targets. I think we got 6 or 8 deer targets, and we thought we were really something. Then we added a white sheep and a cougar and a bear. ha, ha. Before that, the old field course was still in place on the SW side of Lake Nacogdoches, and we shot paper animal faces, and then 2-D flat foam deer targets in front of those excelsior bales.

Ah, good times.

Comment

Ha! I just realized ricks comment was directed toward "limbwalker John" not "jerp John" (duh!)

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Ha! I just realized ricks comment was directed toward "limbwalker John" not "jerp John" (duh!)
                  What we should do is combine our score, yours & mine, and still make John spot us 100.

Rick

Comment

When is the one in May?

My son and I have walked the field archery course at Buffalo in Houston and it is a lot of fun. Anybody wants to join us there let me know.

Comment

May 22nd is when it begins. It's on 90A, just West of Eagle Lake a few miles, before you hit the Colorado River.

It's an old sand and gravel pit converted to an exotic game farm. Lots of cool up and down shots, including the patented "spool" shot...

Comment

This country's best barebow, compound and Olympic recurve target archers will be there again this year.

Including this ugly dude with the pretty Texas bow...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Limbwalker; 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

And our newly crowned National Barebow Champion, and new US Indoor Barebow record holder...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Not to mention our country's #1 ranked Olympic recurve archer, London Olympic silver medalist and 2013 World Champion.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Oh that does not sounds like fun now!!! LOL. Who wants to help me get much better fast?

Comment

Working...
                              X