Bow Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Life

So my question is how long does bow technology last, my current bow is over ten years old and I have never changed because it is comfortable and gets the job done. However do the newer models make that much difference? I am fairly sure a upgrade is needed but wanted to here opinions.

I’ve spent quite a bit of money upgrading my bows the last few years. What I’ve found is invest in the arrow and not the bow. Become familiar with tuning, shoot heavy arrows, and get a solid fixed broadhead. The arrow in my opinion is much more crucial than the bow. As long as those are up to date you should be fine. After that, save the money you’d spend upgrading the bow on hunting outings.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
      I’ve spent quite a bit of money upgrading my bows the last few years. What I’ve found is invest in the arrow and not the bow. Become familiar with tuning, shoot heavy arrows, and get a solid fixed broadhead. The arrow in my opinion is much more crucial than the bow. As long as those are up to date you should be fine. After that, save the money you’d spend upgrading the bow on hunting outings.
      Never really thought about this, appreciate it.

Comment

Guess it depends on what you have currently..?

Was going through the same thought process before season began myself. I had a diamond black ice from 2008 but wanted to test out the new round of Bear and Hoyt bows. I ended up going with the Hoyt Powermax.

There is a huge difference. IMO, speed, accuracy, and the suppression of noise vibration have come a long way since then.

If you're going to upgrade then go with the high end bows if you can afford it. Hoyt, Mathews etc

Comment

I currently have a Bowtech that I bought on here actually and it is good to me but I was thinking about going the Mathews route depending on how much of a difference it might make.

Comment

Best thing you could do is just go and shoot some. If none of them feel right or dont feel better than what you are using now then you will have your answer. Having confidence in the bow you're shooting with means a lot more than the bow itself. But like said above an arrow setup upgrade can make worlds of difference on multiple things. Penetration, noise, accuracy, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
              I currently have a Bowtech that I bought on here actually and it is good to me but I was thinking about going the Mathews route depending on how much of a difference it might make.
              I look at it like a car. Yea there is some new accessories and gizmos here and there but the basic technology/layout is the same with just increased horsepower(speed), handling(forgiveness), suspension(vibration) etc.

I just picked up a vxr from shooting a 10 year old bowtech and it was well worth the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
                I look at it like a car. Yea there is some new accessories and gizmos here and there but the basic technology/layout is the same with just increased horsepower(speed), handling(forgiveness), suspension(vibration) etc.

I just picked up a vxr from shooting a 10 year old bowtech and it was well worth the upgrade.
                Well increased HP, handling and vibration are all reasons I think I am due for a change.

Comment

Well increased HP, handling and vibration are all reasons I think I am due for a change.
                  Exactly.

I think 10 years is the number to definitely warrant an upgrade. I see some guys get a bow every year or two which is a little much for me but if they are selling their old rig it's probably not too bad.

I tried selling my old setup and got $100-$200 offers. It will sit in the closet as a backup for that price.

Comment

I buy a new bow every 5 years. Seems about right.

Comment

My bow was manufactured in 2004..I dont anticipate buying another one anytime soon. And if I do it be just like my current one.. bought used off of here.

Comment

Go with the Mathews vertix are Vxr 28 then .

Comment

I would look seriously at a new bow if yours is 5 years old and would definitely be buying one if it was 10 years old. There is a huge jump in 10 years of technology

Comment

I talked a friend into bow hunting this year and I shoot a 2004 model Bowtech Samson. His new bow is also a Bowtech but I think more of a mid-range bow but is noticably lighter, slightly more quite and the bow grip is significantly more narrow.

My Bowtech was one of the fastest on the market back then. I think is still close to a mid range bow today. In a high end bow I think I would see more difference.

Depending on what you are doing though, that weight difference could be huge in a high elevation elk hunt or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                              I would look seriously at a new bow if yours is 5 years old and would definitely be buying one if it was 10 years old. There is a huge jump in 10 years of technology
                              Yea it’s a Bowtech Captain and I have to believe a new Mathews would be significantly faster, quieter and overall higher quality.... I am going to start looking, will most shops let you try them out first???

Comment

Working...
                              X