Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Wayne Meuir
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick, Texas
Default yellow jackets in blind

We built a new tower box bow blind and put it on a feeder back in July. It is about 10.5' to the floor. It is made out of metal R Panel and we put the black fiberboard from Home Depot on the walls to keep it dark inside and quieter than the bare metal, and maybe insulate it against the cold a little.

We had not hunted it since opening weekend of bow season. Went over on Wed AM to pull the pics off the trail cam and I climbed up the ladder and slid the door open. The entire South and West walls were covered solid in yellow jackets. Each wall is 6' X 7'. About 3/10's of a second later they were all headed right at my face. I jumped off the ladder backward and hit the ground rolling to get away from the blind. Did not get a single sting. We went back the next day with 4 cans of wasp spray. Most of them were gone, but we killed about a thousand or so. The floor of the blind is covered with them.

We opened all the doors and windows and left. Hopefully they will leave since it is not as warm in there, and maybe the stink from the spray will dissipate. Never seen anything like this before, but could be very deadly if a bunch of them got you all at once.

Wayne
Wayne Meuir is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Deb
Pope & Young

Pretty scary stuff.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
az2tx
Ten Point

Happens every year, I have left the windows open and owls and buzzard move in and have babies, and you thought wasp were bad.
Seal the small opening as best as you can and hang a no pest strip inside, it will last about 6 months
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
gigem95
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

man I hate the yellow jackets. Got stung twice recently...once in the head. Hurt like hell!
gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
meangene1969
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wichita / Wilbarger County

wow
meangene1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
bsimm78
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tioga and Canton

Call Billy the Exterminator.
bsimm78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

My dad went down to our place this weekend and said our camper(s) look yellow becuase there are so many on the outside. Also said they are going in and out of our new shed we built last weekend for the Ranger. He said they were so bad he couldn't even hook up his camper due to them being overly aggressive. Any ideas how I can get rid of them? We are going down Friday night to hunt Saturday morning but other than buying 20 bombs for inside of camper and spraying outsides I don't know what to do. 2 people on our lease are HIGHLY allergic to make it worse.
outdoordaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

A thermacell works wonders on Wasp in the blind!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
LCtexashills
Four Point

Hunt In: Evant & Shive

sounds like the bees i had at my place. one of our stands had a hive underneath it and bees were constantly swarming around it by the hundreds. they hate smoke. not a bad way to get rid of them. then destroying the nest so they dont come back
LCtexashills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Parramore
Six Point

Hunt In: King County

WD 40 works great when in a pinch
Parramore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal & Dimmit County

we get em in our blinds almost every year. The blinds seal up tight, but they get slept in when the illegals come in. when they do, they leave windos and doors open, and poof...instant hornet home.

I just crack the door and toss in a bug fogger (grenade style) and listen to them die.

Sweep it out in the morning.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

Is there anything you can buy to keep them off exterior of camper? The Pest Control company I use at home pressure washes my house with a chemical and have never seen a nest since...but also realize they are using stuff you buy with a license.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
LCtexashills
Four Point

Hunt In: Evant & Shive

i used to work at sherwin williams and they sell a product called bug juice that you mix into paint. its supposed to keep bugs from nesting and stuff like that. its kinda pricey but something you may want to look at
LCtexashills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
muzzlebrake
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramore View Post
WD 40 works great when in a pinch
Yep and a bic lighter. Instant flame thrower
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
loco cacahuate
Ten Point

Hunt In: out my back door

One of my huntin buddies blinds was full of wasps, he bombed it and a week later they were back.

Wasps seem to be bad this year.
loco cacahuate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Samiel2d
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson co, Camp Co.

im going to give you guys a tip of the pros on this one. silica dust. it dries out their exoskeleton and kills em dead. spray it in every nook and cranny you can find, pile some on the windows and doorways of your blinds. its non-toxic, but it can mess up your lungs if you breath it so safety first, wear a dust mask when spraying it. you can buy the silica gel bb-s in bulk (the little things in shoes, beef jerky bags, etc) and crush em up, put em in a duster and you're good to go.
Samiel2d is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal & Dimmit County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiel2d View Post
im going to give you guys a tip of the pros on this one. silica dust. it dries out their exoskeleton and kills em dead. spray it in every nook and cranny you can find, pile some on the windows and doorways of your blinds. its non-toxic, but it can mess up your lungs if you breath it so safety first, wear a dust mask when spraying it. you can buy the silica gel bb-s in bulk (the little things in shoes, beef jerky bags, etc) and crush em up, put em in a duster and you're good to go.
just be careful with this...breathe it in too much and it can seriously jack with your health.

Diatomaceous earth does the same thing...tears em up. Feels like flour to us, but is like razor blades to them. used it in my garden for crawly bugs. also....non toxic

get it in the garden section at Lowes/Home Depot
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
JKaggie07
Eight Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton & Comanche County

They are everywhere this time of year, I don't know if this is when they hatch or what?....I went through 4 cans this weekend,just keeping them out of my feeder legs and ground blinds. I just climbed in and hunted with them on Sunday morning. As soon as they started flying (was about 10 AM) I got out of there.
JKaggie07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any place Big Boy walks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco cacahuate View Post
One of my huntin buddies blinds was full of wasps, he bombed it and a week later they were back.

Wasps seem to be bad this year.
X2 put a hotshot mini bomb in it and you can forget about the wasp untill next year. We bomb ours once a year and your good. Keeps killing well past hunting season.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #20
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

I think I am going to try a can of everything everyone has said! lol...I hear dish soap kills them...would a super soaker full of dawn work?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
Wayne Meuir
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick, Texas

I just hope we don't have to deal with this every time we go down there. If so, we will have to modify the windows to make them air tight. I usually don't open the side windows anyway because I want it dark inside, so we COULD just seal those two off permanently.

Wayne
Wayne Meuir is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #22
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

I have been reading up on them today...my boss who is on my lease is allergic bad! So i have been reading and it sounds like they are leaving the queen right now for the year and going to find new homes...they should be gone soon. It says they fertilized the queen and the workers will mostly all die this winter and she will hatch new ones next spring. IT does say also they are very short tempered right now too!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
bearkat2004
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt Co. / Kinney Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2tx View Post
Seal the small opening as best as you can and hang a no pest strip inside, it will last about 6 months
This!

We used to put these in every blind we had, even the ones which were 100% tight, the wasps never touched the blinds, even if we left windows cracked, doors crackted, etc, no wasp/bee/hornet ever came in, they were scent free (at least to me).

There was nothing more nerve wracking than try and put the hammer down on a deer than having wasps fly around your head, and/or fall from the roof during the cold days.
bearkat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top