winch up feeder barrel attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winch up feeder barrel attachment

thanks to dale i now know how to build the tripod but how do you connect the cable to the barrel. to you have to buy that peice or is there any easy way to built one. i have alot of sucker rod so i think the 1/2 or 3/4 should be strong enought but don't know what it looks like or how to attach it to the barrel without ripping the barrel due to weight.
    thanks guys.
    this DYI section is kick***
    btw i am about to build a 4x8 box blind doesn't anyone want to see it.

wow i guess i ain't the only one that has this problem ????

Comment

Yes, I want to see the blind. Please post.

Give the other DIYers a little time to see your post...they'll chime in on your barrel hanger question. This is a weekend. Some guys actually have some semblance of another life outside the green screen! lol

Comment

I've never built one, but I know how I'd do it!

I'd get a piece of sucker rod like you talked about, and a piece of steel pipe just big enough for the sucker rod to slide inside. Then I'd cut some holes in the barrel sides about 4" down from the top, just big enough for that pipe to slide through leaving an inch sticking out each side of the barrel. Then I'd weld that piece of pipe with the inch sticking out both sides, and weld it all the way around so it wouldn't leak. Then you can slide that sucker rod throught the pipe, and weld yer hanger to the ends of the sucker rod. It'd be strong as all get out, never leak, and you could use whatever lid you want.

But that's just how I'd do it.
        Last edited by Dale Moser; 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Clearly not to scale, but here's an idea.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	tusker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	23820475

The dark line coming out of the barrel would be the pipe, and the thinline coming out of it would be the sucker rod.

Makin any sense here?

Comment

Dale nailed it!

I have one that has 1/2" allthread in it. It holds, but needs to be changed out to 3/4". I wouldnt let anyone I care about stand underneath it!

Bigger is better!
            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Oh!

And make sure that the winch, the cable, the pulleys and all the hardware is rated for over the combined weight of the corn, barrel and slingin hootus!

Dont scrimp on this stuff and not live to regret it later.
              Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Here is how I did mine.

Comment

I welded the hanger as one unit and then bolted it to the barrel. It has worked very well so far (3 years).

Comment

Also, the clip attached to the wire rope is one used for chain link fencing.

Comment

bm22 it would be great to see that ground blind and dave can you give any instructions for you attachment

Comment

AP.... Don't forget the weight of the fat and happy coons hangin off the varmit guards... ;-)

Comment

[ATTACH]13135[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13136[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13137[/ATTACH]

if you look in the middle picture you will see I cut the bar down and added large washers and cotter pins on each side. I can take it apart real easy. Also I left enough room that when I let it down the top will lay over out of the way to take the lid off.

Comment

ttt cause it is very cool.

Comment

Howard,

Those are feeders on steroids....

Comment

Working...
                              X