Buck Down - Awesome Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Down - Awesome Hunt

This was by far one of the most exciting and rewarding hunts I have ever had.

So, yesterday after work I decided to hunt even though the weather was telling me to stay at home. I was going to sit in a pop up over a feeder but changed my mind last minute due to the heat and decided I would do some rattling where I could move around and catch some breeze. I grabbed my bow, decoy, and rattling horns and headed out. As I was walking down the road next to a dry creek bed I found a deadfall that created some cover while being open enough behind it to allow me to move around with my longbow. I placed my decoy about 12 yards out and facing away from me. After placing the decoy and settling in I waited about 15 minutes to let things settle down and then began to rattle. I rattled for about a minute pretty hard then waited to try and avoid being pinpointed by anything that may run in. Not 30 seconds after stopping I could hear leaves rustling and then caught some movement through some thick brush. A few seconds later I could see a buck coming in from the dry creek, ears back and all bristled up looking for a fight. Everything happened very quick and I did not really have time to look at much other than making sure he was legal and this year that's about my only requirement. Once the buck spotted the decoy he crossed the fence and was walking straight to me and working his way in behind the decoy. Very seldom does a plan come together like this but he followed the script to a T. As the buck begins to walk past me between the decoy and myself I had to stand to clear some brush but his focus was completely on the decoy. I raised up into a halfway standing position, drew, and shot all in one fluid motion as he walked past at 7 yards beginning to quarter away. Before I had time to realize what was going on the arrow had passed through him entering at the last rib and exiting just behind the opposite shoulder. He made it approximately 40 yards and piled up.
    He's not the biggest buck around but this experience will stay with me forever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow - that must have been a thrilling experience - congrats!

Comment

it's the hunt that makes the trophy, not the horns. congrats on taking a buck with a longbow!

Comment

Awesome story and a great buck!

Comment

Congratulations! That will make your heart race a little bit.

Comment

That's awesome...rattling is the most fun way to hunt when they are responding! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Your plan worked to perfection! Congrats on a good buck and a lifetime memory!
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Boom goes the dynamite

Comment

Congrats on great buck.

Comment

Dang that was awesome I bet!!! Congrats

Comment

Sweet! That's they way to do it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

CONGRATS BRANDON!! That is a good looking deer. Thanks for sharing the story.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Great story/hunt
                              Good looking deer!

Comment

Working...
                              X