Always make sure animals are dead....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always make sure animals are dead before you load them in your pickup.

A buddy and I were doing some calling last night after an unsuccessful deer hunt. We called in a coyote and I shot her in the head with my 6.5 Grendel. She dropped instantly and barely even moved. We then loaded the coyote in the back of the pickup and drove to our next spot. We called at another location for about 30 minutes and then drove around looking for some pigs. After about an hour of spotlighting, I got out of the pickup for a bathroom break and found myself staring face to face with the coyote that we had “killed” over an hour earlier. My friend and I then had to devise a plan to remove the dazed and confused coyote from the bed of the pickup to dispatch her. My friend used a nearby t-post to push her out of the bed while I stood guard with my Glock. After exiting the bed, she stood up and started running towards me. [emoji33] Three rounds of 9mm promptly followed and the coyote was finally pronounced deceased once again. Nothing like a little excitement for the night. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow……...not good.

Comment

Crazy. Where did you hit it on the head shot? Did you just graze it and stun it.

Comment

Someone should have jumped back there a killed it with their bare hands while the other person took video.

Comment

Was it an SST bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
            Crazy. Where did you hit it on the head shot? Did you just graze it and stun it.

It was toward the top of the head. It wasn’t a graze, but I guess it was high enough to not get the brain. I’m still amazed that it was still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Was it an SST bullet?

Yes Sir.

Comment

Bet that scared the heck out of you.

Comment

I shot one between the eyes, (I thought), a few years ago that I had trapped. Shot it from 20/30 yards away and down it went. My SIL and I were checking traps behind the house on Thanksgiving day, and before we messed with carrying off the yote I heard my wife call us for lunch. We came back an hour or two later and as we drove up the coyote was drunkenly sitting up. I had left the .22 at home and (as we had already released it from the trap), the sucker staggered/ran off, falling down a couple times before it made it to the neighbor's place. All I could figure was that I had hit it high between the ears and the bullet just knocked it out.

Comment

Here’s another picture. It looks like a graze in the picture, but it’s just blood running down. The wound that you can see is the exit. The entrance was on the opposite side between the eye and ear.

Comment

Wow thats crazy!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                        Yes Sir.

I had a CZ 6.5 Grendel that was a beauty. I loved the little gun. I don't reload and I was shooting SST's very accurately but with dismal performance on deer and pigs. I sold it to a tbh'r that has forgotten more about shooting/reloading than I'll ever know.

I hate those bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          I had a CZ 6.5 Grendel that was a beauty. I loved the little gun. I don't reload and I was shooting SST's very accurately but with dismal performance on deer and pigs. I sold it to a tbh'r that has forgotten more about shooting/reloading than I'll ever know.

I hate those bullets.

This is the first time that I’ve had an issue with them. I’ve killed around 30 pigs with my 12.5” AR with Factory SSTs with zero issues including several boars over 200 lbs. The bullets have always seemed to perform and expand well on anything I have shot with them. I really just think that this a freak incident with shot placement being off a little bit.

Comment

My buddy shot one in the head last year and loaded it into the basket on the back of the vehicle and it was still alive. They're tough animals no doubt. I shot the whole side of ones head off a few years back with a .243 using 100 grain softpoints. Reached down to pick it up and saw it's eye on that one side move. I hit one with 3" 00 buckshot from 35 yards last year up in Kansas. Hit her right in the head and she just turned around in circles. Most of them hit her in the nose,one hit the side of the head. My second shot hit her in the back end which was 00 buck. Didn't do much good so I got her again with #4 buck and she dropped. Those suckers have a strong will to live. If a bullet or shotgun pellet doesn't hit the brain they can dang sure keep breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                              This is the first time that I’ve had an issue with them. I’ve killed around 30 pigs with my 12.5” AR with Factory SSTs with zero issues including several boars over 200 lbs. The bullets have always seemed to perform and expand well on anything I have shot with them. I really just think that this a freak incident with shot placement being off a little bit.

I had a 24" barrel and part of my problem may have been a little too much speed. But I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X