Washington State Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington State Hunting

After the first of the year I’m transferring up to Washington. Sad to leave Texas but it’s just what we need to do. So I was wondering if any of y’all have hunted up there and maybe share some pictures. We are in negotiations on a house up there now just outside Wilkeson that backs right up to nice little stream. Any help would be appreciated.

Lots of public land but seasons are short and the regs can be confusing compared to Texas. A license with 1 deer tag, 1 elk tag, 1 bear tag and 1 cougar tag will cost around $100. Baiting deer and elk is legal although a lot of resident hunters think it's not and many find it unethical. No baiting bears, no dogs for cougar.

Find a local and have them show you the ropes.
    Last edited by TXJIM; 10-04-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I would add, you should look into the "Master Hunter" program. It's a simple test and certification that will get you extended seasons, flexibility on which side of the state you chose to claim your elk tag and you can sign up for depridation hunts. It's also a great way to meet other hunters.

Master Hunters are ambassadors of safe, ethical, responsible, and legal hunting in Washington state, motivated by giving back to the hunting tradition. They should also have a desire to continue enhancing their skills and be role models of hunting knowledge.

Comment

Buy a lifetime license before you go. Come back and hunt 3 times and it pays for itself.

Comment

The regs are beyond confusing and frustrating. Season is short, land access is a challenge, and every hunter that can fog a mirror is in the woods! It is beautiful country, but unless you know someone with the lay of the area, it is daunting. The good news is you are very close to Idaho and Oregon if you want to go there too! Stay away from any reservation unless you have a disposable vehicle too!

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            Buy a lifetime license before you go. Come back and hunt 3 times and it pays for itself.
            Bought one last weekend. Went ahead and bought my daughters theirs also. We will still have places to hunt here so it made sense to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
              I would add, you should look into the "Master Hunter" program. It's a simple test and certification that will get you extended seasons, flexibility on which side of the state you chose to claim your elk tag and you can sign up for depridation hunts. It's also a great way to meet other hunters.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/masterhunter/
              That’s some great information. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd1212 View Post
                That’s some great information. Thanks!
                I lived there for 8 years, 2002 - 2010, and hunted both sides of the Cascades. As mentioned above, it can be daunting just understanding the regulations. Seek out other hunters and have someone show you the ropes.

I was fortunate that I had a work colleague who was a native and die hard hunter who also had boys my own boys ages. He helped cut down the learning curve a lot.

Comment

Well, it could be worse.

You've got Rocky Mt and Roosevelt elk. Blacktails, Whitetails, and Muleys. Chance at Mt. Goats, Moose, and Bighorns. Unbelievable waterfowling. Pretty solid upland birds. 3 subspecies of turkeys.

Just did a quick look at their seasons for general deer...good lord, that's pretty sweet compared to NM. Almost a month in Sept for archery, then a week or so for muzzleloader, then 10 days or so for rifle, then a few days for late muzzleloader/rifle, then a couple weeks of late archery. And they have general elk tags too.

And lots and lots of fishing too. I've got a buddy up there stationed at Lewis(I think) that's from Texas. He seems to love it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                    Well, it could be worse.

You've got Rocky Mt and Roosevelt elk. Blacktails, Whitetails, and Muleys. Chance at Mt. Goats, Moose, and Bighorns. Unbelievable waterfowling. Pretty solid upland birds. 3 subspecies of turkeys.

Just did a quick look at their seasons for general deer...good lord, that's pretty sweet compared to NM. Almost a month in Sept for archery, then a week or so for muzzleloader, then 10 days or so for rifle, then a few days for late muzzleloader/rifle, then a couple weeks of late archery. And they have general elk tags too.

And lots and lots of fishing too. I've got a buddy up there stationed at Lewis(I think) that's from Texas. He seems to love it.
                    Just an fyi, you don't get all of those seasons. You have to pick your weapon/season when you buy your tag for each species. For Elk you have to pick your weapon/season as well as which side of the state you will hunt. So if you pick archery deer you only get to bow hunt and only on those days designated as archery. Same for elk and if you chose a western elk tag you can't hunt elk east of the cascades, etc.... It a mess but once you figure it all out it's manageable. It's a game rigged to keep success very low....and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                      Just an fyi, you don't get all of those seasons. You have to pick your weapon/season when you buy your tag for each species. For Elk you have to pick your weapon/season as well as which side of the state you will hunt. So if you pick archery deer you only get to bow hunt and only on those days designated as archery. Same for elk and if you chose a western elk tag you can't hunt elk east of the cascades, etc.... It a mess but once you figure it all out it's manageable. It's a game rigged to keep success very low....and it works.

Ah. I figured that a general tag was good for any general season until you tagged out.

At least you for sure get to hunt every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Success rates for deer hunters in Washington state all seasons/weapons combined is 26.9%, for elk the success rate is just over 7%

Comment

That’s about the same as NM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd1212 View Post
                            After the first of the year I’m transferring up to Washington. Sad to leave Texas but it’s just what we need to do. So I was wondering if any of y’all have hunted up there and maybe share some pictures. We are in negotiations on a house up there now just outside Wilkeson that backs right up to nice little stream. Any help would be appreciated.
                            You've made a major upgrade in hunting opportunities by your move, I wouldn't be sad at all (insofar as hunting).

Comment

Well we are now under contract for the house in Washington so it’s getting pretty real.

Comment

Working...
                              X