No announcement yet.

Invest in cannabis industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like the medical side of it would be a safer bet even if the feds decide to put the kaibash on recreational use (which at this point seems unlikely). CBD has some amazing benefits to a host of physical ailments, as well as physiological and mental issues. I’m sure big pharma will fight it every step of the way but Pandora’s box is open. Too many folks are aware of the research.

Comment

I'm continually seeing ads on Fb for "opportunity" to invest in Hightimes magazine, yet print is dead and they really have a small circulation.
      Separately, saw my wife's cousin at Thanksgiving who works for a GC who specializes in grow builds all over. He just finished up one of a handful of research grows at LSU. His advice, was that the established players in the industry don't need investor money and are working hard to keep little guys out. Start ups do.need investor money, but they are not all making profits and are regularly failing. All kinds of issues, contamination, crops get moldy and mites too close to harvest to treat with chemicals and pass inspection, they fail regulatory issues and even get robbed. It was an interesting conversation but he was unable to answer a myriad of questions about payroll taxes and withholdings being paid in a business that is largely kept from using conventional banking methods. Basically, it sounded as though the investor dollars are held separately and used to fund the checkbook to pay rent, taxes, fees and anything requiring a bank. Seems as though shares would jump, then all after cannabis prohibition ends.

I'm guessing there's money to be made, but not sure where as an investor. My accountant and investment guy both are recommending researching cannabis investment, but had nothing specific to offer.
      Last edited by Txtourist; 12-08-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
        Not up hijack the thread, but what kind of investment account does one need to invest in these types of stocks? Any opinions on the best platform to do a little individual trading? Is E trade a good one or are their better options?
        I trade MJ stocks in both my retail trading account and my IRA at TDAmeritrade. For stocks and penny stocks most cash or margin accounts should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
          Let me give you a quick story bedore i tell you what you can do with that moral compass of yours.

My grandfather was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer 4 months ago. In his neck thay had spread to nerves and lymph nodes surgery to remove it and chemo and radiation to try to clean up any leftovers. I could tell he didn't really want to do treatment as he had just seen his brother suffer through the same thing only to pass away shortly after. He did it for my grandmother and my mom though.
          6 weeks in and 2 more weeks to go he had went from 200 down to 170 or so finished up his treatments in the next 2 weeks the he was done. The told him he would start feeling better appetite would come back but nada. Wouldn't eat anything and when he did he would just get sick and throw it up. We were watching him waste away. Now down from 200 to 138 he's a good size man too...6'1 and now weighs 138. Doctors told us he he doesn't eat and start to get some weight back on he would be dead within a month
          Talked to my mom and grandmother and we decided to try some " medical mj" nothing he could smoke but edibles butter ECT. Hoping to at least get his appetite up maybe ease some pain whatever it may help. 1 week in my grandmother called and said he was wanting to go out to eat. Craving a burger...we were amazed when he put down HALF a burger and some fries. Most he had eaten at one time in months and then kept it down without getting sick. 2 weeks in had had gained 4 pounds!! The doc was amazed and said keep dping whatever y'all are doing....3 weeks in he had gained 8 pounds total! Eating ice cream again catfish and crappie we tried for him pretty much anything and everything. You could tell the difference in him and how he was feeling. More alert talking again ect. All because of some plant that was put here for us. Makes me wonder how he would have felt it he had been using it the whole time. ****** me off to no end that it's not easily and readily available for those who could really use it. Then to hear people like yourself spout off this B.S..
          Maybe by now you can tell where you should stick that moral compass of yours.
          You read a whole lot into my comment that wasn't there. There is a huge difference between medical marijuana and recreational marijuana. There are lots of drugs that can be bad for you if you just take them to get high, but are essential medicine. Besides I wasn't even saying recreational use was wrong, I was just saying there is a moral aspect was something to consider. I am sorry about your grandfather.

Comment

The biggest issue is knowing which ones will pan out(you can only make estimates). Dispensaries can be good investments however you have to make sure they have a solid business plan, solid product, and a way to grow and move forward. Plenty of them are pretty cheap to invest in, but the ones that will make it worth your time might cost more now, but will be stronger in the long run possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
              I think you misunderstand what I was getting at. Marijuana is not good for you, it's not like drinking a glass of water. The comparison I was trying to make is that there are other products out there that are not good for a person to use, but people use them anyway. Companies sell them and make money selling them. Investors invest in those companies and make money. Alcohol and cigarettes are the first thing that come to mind as far as a comparison of things that are not good for people to use, many use them anyway and companies produce those products.. When I invest in something I do think about what it is I am supporting and the moral implications of it. Not all money is good money. I was actually trying to look at this from an investment perspective.
              LOL You just opened up a can of worms. These pot lovers are going to bash you now for sure.

It's really not rocket science. A healthy human breathing in smoke of and kind into their lungs is BAD... No matter how you slice or dice it. I honestly can not see how any person above the 3rd grade can argue any different.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                LOL You just opened up a can of worms. These pot lovers are going to bash you now for sure.

It's really not rocket science. A healthy human breathing in smoke of and kind into their lungs is BAD... No matter how you slice or dice it. I honestly can not see how any person above the 3rd grade can argue any different.
                I honestly can't see how anybody above the 3rd grade can't figure out you don't have to smoke it to use it. I know your a little slow sometimes but it's been explained to you more than once.

Comment

friends of a friend. they were both teachers in texas, moved to CO to start a farm, now pay more in taxes than their previous salaries. id love to jump on the money train when it hits texas. who wants to start a farm with me?

dispensaries and farming are not always the same business

Comment

I don't think anyone needs to worry about the FED cracking down on it. The issue is that most pot stocks are way (and I mean WAY) over priced already.

The best play IMO is to guess when the FEDs may vote to leave it up to each State. If investors think for a minute it will be up to each State then all pot stocks will soar.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      I honestly can't see how anybody above the 3rd grade can't figure out you don't have to smoke it to use it. I know your a little slow sometimes but it's been explained to you more than once.
                      You got me. Drugs are good for you as long as you don't smoke them

And BTW - I don't care if people do drugs. Just don't try and tell me they are not bad for people.

Comment

I don't think anyone needs to worry about the FED cracking down on it. The issue is that most pot stocks are way (and I mean WAY) over priced already.

The best play IMO is to guess when the FEDs may vote to leave it up to each State. If investors think for a minute it will be up to each State then all pot stocks will soar.
                        They are not overpriced any more than the penny stocks that you hve posted previously...companies that are not profitable nor have any revenues.

You got me. Drugs are good for you as long as you don't smoke them

And BTW - I don't care if people do drugs. Just don't try and tell me they are not bad for people.
                        Tim, Tim, Tim...all pharmaceuticals are drugs and mess with your normal body functions. Look at all the pain pills and sleeping that are addictive. What is the difference, especially if they help people with health issuses.

Comment

Well this thread already got off topic so here's my $0.02. I had a 3rd back surgery last year that we are considering a failure at this point. And I May 2018 I was diagnosed with cancer (melanoma that spread to lymph nodes and now maybe the bone in my shoulder so it may become stage 4 soon). Between my back and this cancer pain I am having a very hard time managing it with prescription meds. I tried CBD oil, the legal kind with no THC (well so low they sell it as zero). It did not help at all. I am not sure if the other stuff would help but it if were legal I would try it. It is hard living 24/7 with extremely elevated pain levels. It breaks you don't both physically and mentally.

As far as stocks go I am clueless. I never got into the game.

Comment

Since the feds can seize the bank accounts of growers and dispensers, a safer bet would be to invest in the companies that make grow lights, hydroponic tanks, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                              friends of a friend. they were both teachers in texas, moved to CO to start a farm, now pay more in taxes than their previous salaries. id love to jump on the money train when it hits texas. who wants to start a farm with me?

dispensaries and farming are not always the same business
                              unfortunately from my understand a lot of the permits are in place for these operations once it goes through out here. I have no interest in a dispensary but growing and making edibles would be where I would get into the space if I could get a permit/license. From some of my customers in CO and CA the taxes they pay are well worth it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Burnadell;13848903]They are not overpriced any more than the penny stocks that you hve posted previously...companies that are not profitable nor have any revenues.

Tim, Tim, Tim...all pharmaceuticals are drugs and mess with your normal body functions. Look at all the pain pills and sleeping that are addictive. What is the difference, especially if they help people with health issuses.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X