Broken antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
    Unless you are noticing this year over year, its most likely not a mineral deficiency IMO. There is a better chance that it has to do with how many does are cycling and possibly even your buck to doe ratio. There is more competition for breeding which tends to make bucks more aggressive in order to secure the right to breed.
    Our rut seemed short and sweet with bucks already back together on corn over Thanksgiving week. Put bucks in the same area after they’ve already been fighting and the lollygagging they do starts breaking stuff off. I just have one buck now over 3 that’s not broken up and one post mature pencil horn that probably doesn’t do much fighting anymore.

Comment

Most of ours have a point broken off this time of year and are limping around. Main beam breaks are pretty rare for us, though?

Comment

Most of our young bucks have a lot of broken tines if not all. The mature bucks haven’t damaged their racks yet

Comment

I drove by Dilley Feed the other day. I grew an inch.

Comment

Dilley,Dilley

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
              Several of our regular bucks have come up with broken antlers in the last couple weeks. Obviously due to fighting during the rut but I’m starting to think there is a mineral dificiancy of some sort. These are not just broken poins, these are main beam breaks. Is there something that we can supplement this for next year? Or will protein year round correct this issue.
              My take is that we had a rough spring and summer which led to poor antler development. We are seeing tons of big bodied 8 points right at the ears not much mass. Some broken tines. Deer are fat at the moment from all the fall rains but didn't get the eats when they needed it for horn growth.

just my 2 cents.

Comment

I have seen more this year.. hole side missing 3-4 inches above head.. couple guys shot one saying they needed to be culled but I disagreed..

Comment

Originally posted by xtrm-hunter View Post
                  I have seen more this year.. hole side missing 3-4 inches above head.. couple guys shot one saying they needed to be culled but I disagreed..

You should tell those guys to invest in some binoculars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
                    Double Down will fix it and add 60" next year.....

Comment

Can't help on the minerals question. A drought for growing season of antlers. With an earlier than normal rut and it lasting longer than normal in our area. Plus the number of bucks versus doe. When the boys start fighting somethings gonna get broke.

Comment

Another good thing about antlers getting busted up early. Most the time you don't shoot them and they get to grow another year! Take a picture this year of your busted up bigger deer and see how big a jump they make the next.

Comment

Working...
                        X