What Should I Do With This Old Buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Should I Do With This Old Buck?

What do yall think? Should I just let a kid put him down with an antlerless tag? Looks like he has a hurt shoulder. I see an old timer. Any age guesses?
    Attached Files

shoot him.
    looks like they have plenty of habitat for food/shelter and it being dead of "winter" in texas, he should be way meatier than that.

Comment

Put him out of his misery.

Comment

I wouldn’t shoot him unless a dog or coyote was anticipated.
        He won’t be fit to eat so give him the off chance for another spring.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
          shoot him.
          looks like they have plenty of habitat for food/shelter and it being dead of "winter" in texas, he should be way meatier than that.
          agreed...put him down...

Comment

Age guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Age guesses?
              He almost looks younger to me but regardless I think I would have somebody shoot him.

Comment

As old as he'll probably ever be. Doubt he makes it much longer.

Comment

Looks like he has a tumor on his front right shoulder. That may be what’s dragging his weight down.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Age guesses?

No real guess, but the antler Pedicals (sp?) are big, indicating an older deer. Did he drop already due to his injury / condition?

Mr Sid

Comment

Sausage

Comment

Looks like a mature buck that is sick. They usually shed early if they aren't well due to injury or illness. Doesn't look like he will make it through the winter but I wouldn't eat it.

Comment

Is that a big swollen bubble in front of his right shoulder? May just be the angle but looks like some kind of half basketball sized swollen knot.

Comment

Is that an arrow hole behind his left shoulder kinda high up?

Comment

That is an ooolllld dude way worn down from the rut plus whatever else he has going on with that shoulder. IMO put him out of his misery before the yotes do.

Comment

Working...
                              X