Cleaning a cowboy hat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a cowboy hat...

Can you clean a straw cowboy hat? Steam clean maybe?
    Attached Files

I would not touch it. Looks Great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
      I would not touch it. Looks Great to me.
      Same here.

Comment

Your hat tells your story and speaks a lot about the man under "This old hat".

Comment

That's just character.

Comment

Patina

Comment

If you still want to clean it I would call Butler Hatters in Belton TX. 254-939-8389. He's one of the few guys left that still make hats by hand. Cool little shop. I bet he will know if it can be cleaned.

Comment

Let it dry. Use a hat brush to remove dust and such. Get a product called Nustraw hat cleaner. Follow the directions.

Never use any type of dyed soap or cleaner on your hat. It will turn your hat that color. Nustraw is clear.

Comment

Paint it.

Comment

Biggar Hat Store in Decatur would probably have an idea. (940) 627-4287

I never clean mine other than brushing.
                    Last edited by BaconIsMyFriend; 07-01-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

It ain't dirty,.....just character.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                        Let it dry. Use a hat brush to remove dust and such. Get a product called Nustraw hat cleaner. Follow the directions.

Never use any type of dyed soap or cleaner on your hat. It will turn your hat that color. Nustraw is clear.
                        This.
                        Definitely wouldn't use steam to clean it on a hat that old. The more you use steam on it, the harder it will be to hold its shape. Straws break down after a while and you'll have to replace it. A lot of them are only good for about one summers worth of use anyway.

Love how someone posts a question on here about how to do something and they get half a dozen answers on doing something else. OP didn't ask if he should leave it like it is, he asked how to clean it. Sort of like, "Where can I find a good steak?"............"What you really want are pork chops".......

Answer the question asked.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSamurai View Post
                          Love how someone posts a question on here about how to do something and they get half a dozen answers on doing something else. OP didn't ask if he should leave it like it is, he asked how to clean it. Sort of like, "Where can I find a good steak?"............"What you really want are pork chops".......

Answer the question asked.
                          Thanks for sharing

Comment

I usually use dishwashing soap and a brush. Sometimes in the horse trough. My latest one is about 6 yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Paint it.
                              I would not suggest the Tim McGraw-****** black option.

Comment

Working...
                              X