No announcement yet.

Progression from a .243?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're talking about a rifle for a kid here. Ballistics at 1000 yards do not matter.

Comment

Long action - .25-06
      Short action - 7mm-08

6.5 Creedmoor is a good choice as well from the look of it, I just don't have personal experience with one.

It's actually real easy to beat the .270. It shares the .308's high recoil and doesn't kill them any deader than a more comfortable gun that your son will enjoy shooting more.

Comment

Looking to make this exact move for my son and debating the exact same calibers. I can make an argument with myself for all of them. I already have a custom 25-06 that one day will be his so I don't want to buy a 2nd 25-06.

If I had to buy today it would probably be a 7mm-08

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

you arnt taking advantage of the round... your compare 2 bullets the same weight... WHY take advatage of the round, shoot the heavier 7-08 and they are virtual balistic twins.

Because I was comparing the most common bullet weights off the shelf. You will be hard pressed to find anything but 120g & 140g available for 7-08.

I’m certainly not pushing CM, heck I have 2. 7-08’s and 0 CMs

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Because I was comparing the most common bullet weights off the shelf. You will be hard pressed to find anything but 120g & 140g available for 7-08.

I’m certainly not pushing CM, heck I have 2. 7-08’s and 0 CMs
            See post 58...will you double check your numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
              My oldest boy is outgrowing his youth model .243. I'm gonna hand it down to his little brother and move him into a standard sized rifle. I could buy another .243, but would like to try something different. My question is this...What is the best option?? Keeping in mind, he is 11 and I would prefer to keep recoil low. Most likely not trying to shoot past 200-300 yards. Primarily for deer and hogs. Would like to be able to easily find ammunition. Also, must be a bolt gun. He hunts in the Texas youth hunt program, so no AR's
              What is your opinion?? Would a 308 with a brake be to harsh on the recoil??

Thanks

308 came to mind before I even finished reading your msg. Great round.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                Shouldn't that read 1694 ft/lbs for the 6.5CM???

I can’t re-run right now but I think you are correct.

Comment

7mm 08

Comment

Do the reduced recoil loads really make a difference?

Comment

Another vote for 7-08. Gave one to my son. Only rifle I hunt with after he put it down - everything else I have now sits. Like said super accurate, low recoil, ammo everywhere and 139 gr bullet big enough for anything you want to hunt

Comment

Do the reduced recoil loads really make a difference?

I didn’t think so.

Comment

Just got back from academy and bass pro. Saw only one box of 7mm08 and only match stuff for 6.5 cm. Tons of 308 and 270 though. Wondering if 308 with a muzzle brake is the way to go. I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but that's what I do. Just want to make the right decision for my kiddo.

Comment

I typically buy ammo online just because it is a lot cheaper.

At the end of the day you can’t really go wrong with any of the options listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from academy and bass pro. Saw only one box of 7mm08 and only match stuff for 6.5 cm. Tons of 308 and 270 though. Wondering if 308 with a muzzle brake is the way to go. I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but that's what I do. Just want to make the right decision for my kiddo.

.308 isnt a bad round. Just not my preferred round. You really cant go wrong, I just do not like having a brake on a hunting gun. They are super loud and in a blind not a big deal to wear muffs but I will not shoot a gun with a brake without ear protection. A non braked rifle I like to wear ear pro when hunting but not a deal breaker to shoot it with out them. Especially when still hunting or shooting out of the truck in a hasty situation. Those brakes are rough on your ears and the noise itself can be more detrimental to the shooter than the recoil a times. If your going to go that route just be sure to get something heavy enough to soak up the recoil and throw reduced loads. I know when I was around 12 I had a helluva flinch develop from a light weight .270 beating me on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

25-06

Comment

Working...
                                X