• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form Help

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Been working on my form quite a bit lately, need to get more consistent and would like any feedback. Good or bad, I'll take it all

I see your bow are dropping in every shot. Your release hand is going out away from your face. Try to hold your bow arm rock still till the arrow is in the target. Let release hand slide back instead of to the side. Hope this helps

Comment

I agree with SwampGhost. Try and force yourself to touch your earlobe or your shoulder on release. And it looks like you are jerking your bow hand down and away on release. It should remain rock solid or natural fall towards the canted side gently. Just my two cents worth. Honestly if you are getting good arrow flight and hitting consistently on target then be happy with it because all you really want are hits on target and no matter how you get them it only matters that you get them. There is no such thing as perfect form in real world applications only perfect results. I know my form would make some people cringe but it works for me. The real key factor is consistency. IMHO

Comment

You might be inducing a little bit of torque on the string caused by how you're aligning your drawing hand relative to the bowstring. It's hard to tell from just that one angle, but often times shooters that have this "off-axis" alignment between the bowstring and the backside of their drawing hand will develop a callous on the bottom their ring finger caused by that section of skin dragging across the bowstring during release. Aligning your hand with the bowstring during the entire shot sequence will avoid this problem, allow you to achieve proper finger tension, and will make for a much cleaner release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 1.14.24 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	24386440

Swampghost already hit on the back tension piece, but it's worth bringing it up again. Holding proper back tension at anchor will result in the elbow on your drawing arm to continue to move back and slightly down after release (tracing the "J" from draw to release). It's hard to tell from your first video, but it appears that your drawing elbow is a little too far out to the right at anchor and it's certainly static on release, and your hand comes out and away from your face on release, all of which indicate that you might be holding too much tension in your deltoid and bicep during the draw rather than your back.

The best illustration I've heard is to imagine that your elbow was connected to your hand by a chain, in order to get to full draw you have to trace a J with your elbow to get your hand into your anchor point and elbow aligned with the arrow. Put into practice, this does two things:

1. You'll achieve a rotational draw that demands the use of your rhomboid muscles to get to anchor (and hold it there)

2. You mitigate the tendency to hold excessive tension in your forearm and fingers during the draw cycle which can lead to plucking the release

Videoing the shot sequence from directly behind the shooter will best aid to verify proper alignment and mechanics during the shot. Particularly when it comes to making sure you're pulling through the shot with your back instead of trying to let go of the string with your hand.

Comment

Thank y'all so much!!! I'm at the range before I go do hill sprints and I am going to really work on the back tension and bow arm.

My index finger has really been taking a beating, so I have to be torquing my string hand. Also, I am feeling more back tension, but have been focusing on the wrong thing I guess. I will work on the J hook and getting my hand inline with the string.

Thank you so much again!!!

Comment

They covered pretty much everything I see.

Bisch

Comment

Like sweetinlow660 said, main thing is where are your arrows going? No two people shoot the same way. I shoot with some guys that have weird shooting style but still hit where they are looking. Do what works best for you. I was told by some that my release was a static release and not a good way to shoot. I tried the follow through and touch my shoulder style but it just wasn't working for me. I went back to my static release and I do pretty decent with it. Just keep shooting and you will find what works for you...

Comment

There is no real "right" or "wrong"! Consistency is the name of the game, and if you can do it exactly the same way every time, it don't really matter what the process is. I believe back tension is a relly important part to getting real good, but even if you use your back great, it won't matter if you are not doing something else the same way every time.

Consistencey!!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Ok, I'm having a hard time getting my right elbow in line with my arrow and bow arm, and I am torquing the string a bit for sure. My problem is, whenever I truly feel like I've got my elbow in alignment, I buzz the crud out of my face with the string. Not sure if this is face structure or if I need to keep a more upright posture. My arrow flight is amazing and it goes where I am looking when I get it right, so I know I'm on the right track. However, I need to learn how to get out of my own way. I also seem to slap my arm a bit when I am in line, like I am expanding my chest to get everything lined up and maybe get too opened up.

Comment

Some of tonight's practice. My bow arm had been turning in and giving me "instant feedback" and I had to re-train my elbow a bit tonight. It looks like I'm shaking a bit, but more of the arm moving. Bow arm wants to drop, but got better by the end of the session. The J Hook draw helped a ton, but still having problems torquing the string. Only going to work on one thing at a time right now.

Comment

Also, I kept playing with my alignment and with my body structure, to be in alignment with the arrow, I will have to anchor at my jaw muscle!!! I had Tom Clum work with me for a few minutes when I went into RMSGear and it seems like that is where I "fit" with alignment and it means I have nearly a 31" draw. My biggest problem with that is trying to find anchor and something that feels good to my sight picture. I'm kind of at a loss right now.

Comment

Keep shooting man. Looking better, try canting your bow a little more. It will open up your sight window. See if that helps any

Comment

Thank you sir! I watched a few videos from Trad Gang last night. It feels like I have been running out of room, and using the j hook to "close the door behind you" really helped me. As well as the allowing my bow hand to start left and be "pulled" towards the target as I drew. Much more natural feeling and it just allows me to be an athlete. Amazing how well your arrows fly in proper alignment.

Comment

come visit with Angelo group

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              I'm kind of at a loss right now.
                              Try not to get too wrapped around the axle with the process, it's going to be slow, you'll take one step forward and three back at times, but in the end it'll all work itself out.

If you have the ability, get out of the backyard and into the garage and do some blank bale/blind bale work. It's amazing how much easier it is to isolate one single aspect of your shot sequence when you don't have to aim and you're not worried about missing the target altogether.

Consistency is the name of the game, and there's no better way to work on your form than the above method. You'll be surprised how quickly the "sight picture" side of the house takes care of itself when you can consistently execute your shot sequence.

Comment

Working...
                              X