NFL charges DOD and Military for tributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL charges DOD and Military for tributes

So, are the military tributes the major leagues do for the military genuine or all money grabs? With the recent issues with the National Anthem and protest I looked for some clarification. What I found kind of made me upset on how much ALL major leagues are charging the military to tribute them. They charge for flyovers and singing of the Anthems in some cases and many other things. The military even has to pay the NFL to put the "support our troops" patch on the merchandise. It makes me mad, yet I am not shocked.
    Here is one link

So how much does the NFL pay the Airforce for each flyover?

Comment

its a money grab.....

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        So how much does the NFL pay the Airforce for each flyover?
        Nothing. It's the other way around. If I had to guess the cost per flyover would be in the high 10s to 100s of thousands in taxpayer money. Source

In 2015, Arizona Sens. Jeff Flake (R) and John McCain (R) revealed in a joint oversight report that nearly $5.4 million in taxpayer dollars had been paid out to 14 NFL teams between 2011 and 2014 to honor service members and put on elaborate, “patriotic salutes” to the military. Overall, they reported, “these displays of paid patriotism [were] included within the $6.8 million that the Department of Defense (DOD) [had] spent on sports marketing contracts since fiscal year 2012.”

Comment

Kind of sounds like it was something that had been done briefly, was discovered to have either been in practice in some cases, or just have bad optics in others, and then had an abrupt stop put to it. Seems to me as though mistakes had been made, but have since been corrected.
          I will say that the notion that anyone would require payment to show tribute to the military pizzez me off. But, it seems to be all good at this point. At least that's the way I read it. There were also at least a couple of denials of the funds being used for that purpose listed in this article too. Who knows what to believe?

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
            Nothing. It's the other way around. If I had to guess the cost per flyover would be in the high 10s to 100s of thousands in taxpayer money. Source
            The thing about flyovers is that they don't cost any more money than would already be spent. Pilots have to get a certain amount of flight hours in the stay current as pilots. These are hours that would be put in anyway. It's just that they account for some of them in a public display as a flyover.

Comment

It is a form of advertising by the Armed Forces. All advertisers have to pay to play.

Comment

What is really bad by the NFL is all the breast cancer awareness they do to get women involved, something like only 2% of the money goes to fund research. Now that is a money grab.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  It is a form of advertising by the Armed Forces. All advertisers have to pay to play.
                  Yeah, when this was news....several years ago....the end result was that it was the armed forces coming to the NFL for ad time that got this ball rolling.
                  Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-26-2017, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Yeah, when this was news several years ago the end result was that it was the armed forces coming to the NFL for ad time that got this ball rolling.
                    Yep,it's a recruiting tool,and budgeted accordingly.

DJ

Comment

This. It isn't like the NFL is approaching the Armed Services, then charging them. It's the other way around. I have no problem with this. Not like it's taking rifles out of soldier's hands.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                        Yep,it's a recruiting tool,and budgeted accordingly.

DJ
                        Gotcha. Hadn't thought of it like that. Makes sense ...kind of

Comment

Exactly. Think how many little kids see those jets fly over and decide that's what they want to do. Or see the flag, or the men and women in uniform, and decide the military is for them.

Comment

It's always been about the money.

Comment

How about NASCAR? I hope the answer is free....

Comment

Working...
                              X