Back tension issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back tension issues.

Focusing more and more on pulling with my back as I shoot in the evenings, noticed what might be a problem.

Draw to full anchor, anchor at the corner of my mouth and thumb knuckle at the base of my ear, compress my back and *poof* I've released the string. It's accurate and feels correct but the amount of movement from my anchor to release with back compression is minimal, like half an inch or much less. It's like once I compress my back I no longer control my string hand, wrist and shoulder. Once the compression starts the release is more of a surprise than an actual controlled release. Isn't the release supposed to be controlled??

Richard

I was taught for it to be a surprise release you are supposed to be aiming and letting the pin float.

Comment

Release is supposed to be a surprise

Comment

I struggled with back tension for a while, doing what I thought was right. Until I heard Clay Hayes explain it and it made perfect sense. I'll see if I can find the video.

Comment

Check this video out! It's the best explination I've ever heard on back tension and drastically improved my shooting

Comment

I have always struggled with back tension. To this day, I understand the concept, but I do have a slight problem applying it. The release is supposed to be a surprise, but mines not. I set my mind to release or at least initiate the release by pulling and relaxing my fingers

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
              https://youtu.be/G-r1IqWjkKw
              Check this video out! It's the best explination I've ever heard on back tension and drastically improved my shooting
              I watched that video last night, gonna try that today because I have been struggling with " Back Tension " and what it is supposed to feel like.

Comment

back tension is a weekly progress for me, even though I have it down I have to stay tuned with it or ill develop bad habits, it feels weird at first but once muscle memory takes over that's when you see a developed consistency with accuracy overtime

Comment

Another way I've way I've heard it described is this - walk through a door then close that door behind you using your elbow, keeping your forearm and hand relaxed. When you do that you are using the exact muscles - rhomboid, etc you use when properly drawing a bow.
                  Last edited by jerp; 10-20-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                    https://youtu.be/G-r1IqWjkKw
                    Great video. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                    X