skull mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skull mount

what's the fastest way to get a skull mount done? If anyone does it locally, what's the cost?
    I'm wanting to do this and give it as a surprise gift to the gentleman who gave me permission to hunt his land.

Thanks!

Anyone that does a good job should be weeks and weeks if not months out right now. I have 27 that still need to get skinned not to mention the numerous others that are cleaned and ready for whitening. And the pile that are waiting on plaques to arrive. You can do yourself in a ln afternoon or ya gotta wait!

Comment

I've done a bunch myself using the Cabela's euro kits... Everything you need and good instructions... all you need is a big pot and burner to heat it up with... boil that sucker out after you skin/clean it best you can and follow the instructions in the kit...
      I've got 2 that are in my freezer to do... Of course they've been in my freezer for a while... one since 2015 and the other since '16... But like posted above, only takes an afternoon... and it's a good thing to do if you're sitting round a campfire or a big ol smoker doing other things... like havin' a beer with friends...

Comment

Had the deer processor in Bluff Dale do mine. $85 and done in a week. Looks great as well, we've had several done there.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
          Anyone that does a good job should be weeks and weeks if not months out right now. I have 27 that still need to get skinned not to mention the numerous others that are cleaned and ready for whitening. And the pile that are waiting on plaques to arrive. You can do yourself in a ln afternoon or ya gotta wait!
          I understand, can you give me an idea on what I need to do?
          I know I have to skin it and get the non-bone parts (Meat, skin, Eyes, brain, etc..) cleaned off

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            I've done a bunch myself using the Cabela's euro kits... Everything you need and good instructions... all you need is a big pot and burner to heat it up with... boil that sucker out after you skin/clean it best you can and follow the instructions in the kit...
            I've got 2 that are in my freezer to do... Of course they've been in my freezer for a while... one since 2015 and the other since '16... But like posted above, only takes an afternoon... and it's a good thing to do if you're sitting round a campfire or a big ol smoker doing other things... like havin' a beer with friends...

Comment

won't cooking/boiling the skull soften the bone? I was going to clean it, bleach it with laundry bleach and paint the skull white and leave the antlers the way they are.

don't laugh, it's my first time

Comment

Don’t use bleach. That will definitely ruin the bone.

Skin it. Take off as much meat as you can. Don’t boil, simmer for about 2 hours. I usually throw some dawn in there to help degrease. Once it’s done, pressure wash it to remove brains and all the remaining meat. Drop in peroxide for a few days. This will whiten it. Rinse. Good to go.

Comment

. Skin, remove as much meat as you can. Remove eyes and brain. Take to a car wash and spray off any remaining meat you can. Wrap antler bases with tin foil so they don't get water on them.
                  "Do Not Boil" cook on high heat, just under a boil in water with Dawn dish washing soap
                  Change water and soap several times. Watch that you don't lose teeth as some might fall out. When you think it is clean, and not a lot of grease spots, let dry in the sun if you can.
                  Go to Amazon and buy some 40% peroxide. Re wrap antlers. Apply 40% all over and get as much inside as possible. Do over a cookie tray so you can save what drips off. Leave on for a day or two. Rinse in clean water and apply again for a couple days. Rince in warm water and let dry in the sun if you can.
                  Process will take about a week if you cleaned skull good.

Comment

Should look this white when finished.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just follow these instructions and you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                        Just follow these instructions and you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“How Too”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ali, my lease mate does great work for euro mounts, he goes by Shake N Bake on here and is out of Krum. I believe he occasionally makes it out towards the Allen area for work so maybe an exchange could be made near cabelas or something. I know a lot of happy TBHers use him. For a deer head its $100 I believe.

His Facebook page is Top Pin Taxidermy if you decide to let a pro do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                            Ali, my lease mate does great work for euro mounts, he goes by Shake N Bake on here and is out of Krum. I believe he occasionally makes it out towards the Allen area for work so maybe an exchange could be made near cabelas or something. I know a lot of happy TBHers use him. For a deer head its $100 I believe.

His Facebook page is Top Pin Taxidermy if you decide to let a pro do it.

Shake N Bake does a helluva job for $100. Pigs are a little more but he did a bang up job on that big boar I killed in March. I used to do my own but once you buy a full tank of propane, a pot if you need one, 40 Peroxide creme and whitener from Sallys, and an all day project, it's a no brainer at his cost and no pain in the ***....
                            Last edited by Smart; 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Do a search in DIY there are multiple step by step threads. As mentioned do not use bleach and you want to bring to boil then simmer for several hours. This will help keep the nose cavity and teeth in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X