Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default Upper end bino question

I have several pair of vortex. I think my newest ones are 12x50 viper hd. Nothing wrong with them but I am thinking about going to some better quality glass. I have terrible eye sight so extra magnification comes in handy. Do I still need to go high mag if I switch to better glass ? Also was thinking about getting some range finding ones. It saves me from having to carry my range finder and binos.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Terry
Ten Point

Leica HD 10x42 R probably the best, you can get for around $1850, I have the Vortex Fury HD and have no complaints.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Swaros!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Leica's
Watch Euro Optics web site you can get some really good deals on demos.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Alemana
Spike

Hunt In: Benavides

I have the swarovski 15x56 binos and love them. If you want a range finer/ bino then zeiss has a good set that i have used that are cheaper than the swaros
Alemana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Spent last year behind vipers. This year I’m behind 10x42 razors. It’s a huge upgrade
hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I have a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42 and love them but I wish I would of gone with a 12x.. as far as the range finder goes I didn’t want ranger finding because I didn’t want to mix electronics/technology with my bionos that I plan to keep forever..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

If'n I was a gun hunter I could see the need to look at deer at long distance but for bow hunting and looking at deer under 100 yards and most of the time under 50 yds the cheap $100 Bushnell Excursion 8x28 bird watchers I have been using is all I needed for the last 10-12 years. I have some big ol Nikon Monarch 10x50s that I haven't even picked up for years now.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Spend your money on Swaros or Leicas. I bought my last glass 15 years ago and have not had to replace them.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Pineywoods Paul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I bought some Zeiss Victory Rangefinder 10x50 binoculars last year after selling my Svarosvski 10x50’s without RF feature. Felt they were too heavy. Zeiss or any Europe glass high end binocs are heavier than most US brands, but man the glass is primo.

I tried a guide’s Leicas RF binocs on a Nebraska hunt. Liked them too. But he’s the one who recommended Zeiss.
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Thing about high end binos is even for bowhunting, I can see animals and horns at my bow blinds with the binos before I can see them with the naked eye and see if they are a buck or doe and what the horns look like. Also, your eye strain is going to be less if not eliminated with high end binos. I have the Swaro 10x42's SLC. Their warranty service is top notch also. Had to use them about 3 times.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
bman940
Four Point

Hunt In: Nikon, Prostaff- So I hunt a lot.

I like the idea of a bino rangefinder I just know that if you are spending a lot of time glassing the extra device installed will begin to fatigue you. I checked out Nikon's LaserForce bino rangefinder at SHOT Show and I was impressed with it. MONARCH glass and the rangefinding is quick and easy to read. Every person I showed the LaserForce to liked everything about it, not one negative comment. For my use I prefer Nikon's MONARCH 7 or new HG bino's. The HG's with their filed flattener will go up against any bino on the market. I own Euro bino's and they haven't been out of the safe since I started using the HG's. Definitely worth taking a look at and they are under a Nikon promo right now for $100 off. Here's a pic of what I take to the blind. Nikon's 7iVR rangefinder has worked great for me. The Vibration Reduction has worked in all conditions and never failed me. Nikon's second generation stabilized rangefinder, the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized works much faster, farther and fits the hand better, I just haven't used one in the field.

bman940 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

I had the swaro El 10x50 with the newer swarovision glass and the swaro el range 10x42. I like the Leica Geovid HD-B the best of the 3 and sold both swaros. The new swaro el with swarovsion Glass was a VERY very close 2nd to Leica. The el range were not on par with other swaro glass, I read the glass is changed in the el range model due to the range finder in it. I used all 3 binos at the same time for a year and a half in the field. No in store demo opinion here
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

I think you will be ok on the magnification and I personally like having separate rf/bino. I do a lot of archery spot and stalk, so its alot easier to use a rf than trying to dig out the bino and range with one hand. EL and a Leica rf here...I went with the best of both worlds.

That being said, call Doug at camerlandny....he posted a leica geovid for cheap that was a demo.http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforu...D49/14181.html

I'm really tempted to call and see if they still have it...wouldn't mind having it for a dedicated rifle hunt system.

Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 10-17-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
cnc_xt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

I recently purchased 10x42 EL's and love them. I prefer the 10x42's size and weight compared to the higher power binos. I would have went with Leica's if Swaros weren't an option.
cnc_xt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
retrieverman
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I’ve had a set of Zeiss Conquest 12x45 binos for over 15 years and really like them. If money was no object, I’d have Swarovskis.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #17
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

Not to hijak but is there a big difference in ELs and SLC swaros?
Soggy Bottom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #18
ShedSeeker
Four Point

Hunt In: Irion, Travis

Buy the best you can and your eyes will thank you. I have had 10x50 Swaros for 16 years that I use almost daily. Excellent customer service as well.
ShedSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #19
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Swaro
2Lazy2P is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
Not to hijak but is there a big difference in ELs and SLC swaros?
The design and coating on the SLC were meant for hunters. The EL were made for nature watchers. The ergonomics and looks of the EL are attractive to hunters, plus the double bridge design screams Swarovski .

I've played with both in the field, the SLC were better in low light but I could pick out bedded sheep and deer better with the ELs. I went with the ELs since I got them pretty close to the same price.

Just my opinions
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #21
kdenhead
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette & Washington County

I’ve had Nikon EDG 10x32 for almost 10 years. Great glass!
kdenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #22
cpr1979
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche

Iím in the market as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cpr1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #23
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Just buy a spotting scope.
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #24
Payne346
Six Point

I looked at all brands available, then saved and bought Swaros. Best purchase I've ever made for hunting. I've got the EL Range 10x42, next purchase will be the new HD 15x56.
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #25
Ohio Darin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana

What is the primary use of the binos and how will they be used? That definitely comes into play in order to properly answer your question. If glassing close brush, etc. then 8x for the larger field of view. If wide open country then maybe 10x. Free hand or mounted to a tripod, etc.?

Keep in mind that the higher the magnification the harder it is to stabilize the image. I use Swaro EL 8x42's for pretty much everything. I found that I actually see better through the 8x vs. 10x since the image is more stabile. 12x maybe and 15x I definitely would want to be mounted to a tripod to get the full benefit of the higher magnification. Look through some 8's - you may be surprised. I have a pair of Viper 8x42's and they are pretty decent glass for the money. I have many times spotted game with the Swaro 8's that others with lower end or older 10x had missed.In the end the old adage of buy once - cry once does hold true when it comes to optics.
Ohio Darin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #26
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Swaro slc 10x42's here. Bought off ebay 11 years ago for $650. The best money I ve ever spent on hunting equipment hands down. I coach golf and can use them 3-4 holes over to follow golf balls in flight. Seen a lot of good shots and a bunch of bad shots. I'll ask a kid why did you hit a driver on #4 when we talked about a 3 wood ? They say how did you see all that. Pretty simple, I was on hole #6 watching you do it!

Last edited by Abcdj; 10-18-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #27
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

I will atleast go for 10x. Really stuck on having range finder built in or not. Would be nice to call distance out to hunters faster. Most of our hunting is 200 yards or under. I use binos at least two days a week all year long.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #28
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
I will atleast go for 10x. Really stuck on having range finder built in or not. Would be nice to call distance out to hunters faster. Most of our hunting is 200 yards or under. I use binos at least two days a week all year long.

I may be different then most but a Nikon Monarch in anything is all you need for regular hunting. Now for PRS or long range shooting and long range hunting thatís different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #29
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Bought some Leicas a few weeks ago and wow you can tell a big difference in the low light compared to what I used before. They are a little on the heavy side but crystal clear.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #30
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

The 10x42 ELs are going to be tough to beat for the top shelf You seek amigo. Leica is good but be warned they will hamstring you under any warranty hicup in their favor. Horrible reputation with claims to back it up.

I personally don't handle any power over 10x very well holding them off hand...the best out there fore the true spotting guide & mobile glasser are the 20x60 zeiss stabilizer with the gyro button. Absolutely magnificent glass for a more dedicated application, but due to size & being somewhat fragile aren't ideal for most common hunting practices.

I wouldn't pony up for the extra $$$ for laser range finders unless I was calling regular shots 350-400+ as a norm. It's a nice addy & dad has the 10x rangers in zeiss but the lighter Els being held constantly for actual visual vs pinging a distance is 100 to 1 in use
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 01:41 AM   #31
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Swarovski is the only brand I will buy now. Having great optics makes every sit that much more enjoyable.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 AM   #32
bk913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cooke county/Tom Green county

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
I like the idea of a bino rangefinder I just know that if you are spending a lot of time glassing the extra device installed will begin to fatigue you. I checked out Nikon's LaserForce bino rangefinder at SHOT Show and I was impressed with it. MONARCH glass and the rangefinding is quick and easy to read. Every person I showed the LaserForce to liked everything about it, not one negative comment. For my use I prefer Nikon's MONARCH 7 or new HG bino's. The HG's with their filed flattener will go up against any bino on the market. I own Euro bino's and they haven't been out of the safe since I started using the HG's. Definitely worth taking a look at and they are under a Nikon promo right now for $100 off. Here's a pic of what I take to the blind. Nikon's 7iVR rangefinder has worked great for me. The Vibration Reduction has worked in all conditions and never failed me. Nikon's second generation stabilized rangefinder, the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized works much faster, farther and fits the hand better, I just haven't used one in the field.

Can you get us the employee discount?
bk913 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #33
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I only buy nice glass and mostly Swarovski. There are times good glass and high end glass will seperate. Theses moments are all day glassing or glares and many others. As for rangefinders- I personally do not perfer them being built in for 2 reasons. The first is technology changes too quickly and you are stuck with a $3,500 outdated bino and rangefinder set. The second is more to break. If the rangefinder breaks and it will you are again stuck with extra weight.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #34
bman940
Four Point

Hunt In: Nikon, Prostaff- So I hunt a lot.
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
Can you get us the employee discount?
I'm not an employee of Nikon so I don't what discounts employee's get. $100 off the HG's for 1 more week is pretty darn nice though. I bought mine and I am glad I did. My BLACK FX1000 scopes, bought, MONARCH 5 scopes/binos, all bought and paid for. I do frelance work with Nikon, SHOT Show,Shooting Events, product testing, whatever they ask me to do. If one of you asks me a question I do my best to answer it honestly. if I have hands on experience, I can give you an even better answer about how a product might work or not work for your needs.
bman940 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top