X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should shoot his momma first

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      The term "culling" is used way too loosely on TBH, what most mean is " I need an excuse to kill a deer' . It's not culling its killing, and I have no problem with it just call it what it is. There are very few ranches in the state of Texas or even Mexico for that matter in which culling is actually a positive management practice. You have to be under extreme management for many years for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree with Shane here. If I’m choosing a cull it’s cause I don’t like his frame and have other deer that have a better frame than the one being shot. You’ll never know what he can be if you “cull”. I saw a 4 year ladder on a deer that went 8,9,10,11. He’s the exception. But if he was shot as a 8 you’d never known he would of went to 11

Comment

We don't cull anything until its 3.5 year old...but before you decide to "cull" what is your ranches plan on deer herd management? If you have one then that tells you what to cull and what to leave alone....If you don't have a plan then do what you want....

Comment

I love culling young deer and I'm very good at it. I don't think it's my responsibility to be held accountable for another experts lack in experience in picking out which young deer need culling

Comment

We had multiple young bucks without brow tines last year (looked like your first post) Passed them up and they all have brows this year. Hope this helps ya out.

Comment

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
              I may let my son shoot that big 9 and just have it considered my trophy. He’s well old enough and not going to ever be better.
              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I think he should get popped. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                I love culling young deer and I'm very good at it. I don't think it's my responsibility to be held accountable for another experts lack in experience in picking out which young deer need culling
                You accountable? we all know better

Comment

Originally posted by PecanBayouRat View Post
                  I think he should get popped. Just my $0.02.

The 9?

Comment

The 9?

I think both. The young one is in his 3rd season and doesn't even show a nub, but understand why people would say pass.

Comment

That age with that frame I let him walk. Big 8's are my favorite deer though. If that frame keeps growing and he ends up with dink brow tines but solid tine length and spread I would be happy as a puppy with two ******* to kill him.

Comment

The guys saying too young...too young to have brow tines???

Comment

cull it.
                          kill it.
                          shoot it.

whatever you want to call it.

no brows is no bueno.

Comment

We don’t have the does. I bet our buck to doe ratio is 3:1
                            I'd be killing more bucks then but don't see a 1.5 yr old as "cull" candidate (maybe 2.5 but I'd lean toward f1.5) . I'd look for something more along the lines of a 3.5 with the same traits or a 5 yr old junker and let your does live (you are in a unique situation - I think most of us need to start shooting more does than we do, did I just say dosey do?)

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              The guys saying too young...too young to have brow tines???
                              We see this on our place on occasion in East/Central Tx - 1.5 yr olds first set of horns with no brows and grow into solid bucks.

Comment

Being that its a new lease and a good looking deer besides his brows, I would have to pass and see what he does next year so I feel good about it and give him one more chance. But I think it just depends on the lease for me, I understand why a lot of guys say shoot him. Now on the other hand if my young son would be thrilled to death about shooting him and your lease wants those deer gone then I would let him take him probably.

Comment

Working...
                                X