Getting Measured for 1st Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Measured for 1st Bow

I'm saving to get into the market for my first bow, but I would love to know what length and weight to be looking for.

Should I wait until I have money in hand before going in a Pro Shop to determine my length and weight?

Thanks!

To measure for your draw length. Open your arms and have somebody measure your fingertip to fingertip and divide that by two. That will be your draw length. Now what you can pull back "weight" that is what you will need to try out and a Pro Shop.

Comment

Go to a archery shop and get measured for draw length and poundage you can handle is the very best way to get fitted properly. The arm spread and halved is not always accurate for everyone. See a pro to get everything right especially being a beginner.

Good luck and hope you enjoy archery as much as most of us do.

Comment

Actually it is wingspan(fingertip to fingertip) divided by 2.5. Just go to. A shop and talk to them. If they want you to come back and buy from them money will help you as much as possible before you even have a penny for a purchase.

Comment

Go to a pro shop !!!! Your draw length can be off three inches using that method depending on your anchor ,if you are shooting fingers ,a loop, or different kinds of releases.
          Ron
          A pro shop is your best friend when getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            Actually it is wingspan(fingertip to fingertip) divided by 2.5. Just go to. A shop and talk to them. If they want you to come back and buy from them money will help you as much as possible before you even have a penny for a purchase.
            Yeah that don't always work my draw length measured that way says I should be shooting like a 33'' draw but only shoot a 31'', just go to a pro shop & let them fit one to you just like buying a new pair of shoes, you'll know when it is set just right for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornytoad View Post
              Go to a archery shop and get measured for draw length and poundage you can handle is the very best way to get fitted properly. The arm spread and halved is not always accurate for everyone. See a pro to get everything right especially being a beginner.

Good luck and hope you enjoy archery as much as most of us do.
              x2

Comment

Good Luck and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

Stop by a pro shop for sure don't buy anything "off the rack". Make sure it fits you and ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Niko View Post
                  To measure for your draw length. Open your arms and have somebody measure your fingertip to fingertip and divide that by two. That will be your draw length. Now what you can pull back "weight" that is what you will need to try out and a Pro Shop.

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                  this and even better advice to go to a pro shop. Doesn't cost you a thing to have them check your draw length on a measuring bow and takes all of 10 seconds.

Comment

I would take a trip to lampasas and go to Nocked and loaded and talk to Aaron. I am also new to compound bow an went there this weekend and he measured me and tuned my bow. Also went to the archery range an he worked on form and set anchor points and sighted in my sight and rest. Great place to visit. Look them up online.

Comment

Go to a shop and get measured then if possible shoot some bows longer and shorter than your draw length. Mine is 31" (according to the shop) but add a loop and release then too long. I've had it feel like I need to pull further but couldn't (especially sitting vs standing). Maybe I wasn't measured right I don't know (im 6ft 2"). Now im shooting 29" with loop and release and its perfect. I used to pull 70lbs cause I shot every day but these days rarely have time to shoot so I set it to 65lbs. Need to go with whatever lb your comfortable with standing, sitting with no leg support and upper body.

Comment

Working...
                      X