HISD free food for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HISD free food for the year

I just heard over the radio the Houston ISD will be feeding students for free for the entire school year.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hats off to them. There are family's that will help out a.lot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if other ISD's will follow. Way more than just Houston was affected. Beaumont doesn't even have drinking water right now.

Comment

With the amount of destruction to the houses/apartments in the HISD school district, most of their students likely meet the qualifications to be considered homeless, even though they have a home address. It is probably easier for HISD to just give free lunch to every student then to overwhelm staff with tracking who is and who isn't and when they go from being considered homeless to not being considered homeless. Homeless students are eligible for free lunch where ever they go to school.

It's sounds strange but it is probably the most fiscally responsible way to handle the situation. There could be federal funds distributed to offset some of these costs, due to the disaster declaration.

Comment

True

Comment

Thoughts? It's a good thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

At least folks tax money is going to a positive during rough times for the city. 200 schools are underwater in that ISD!!!! I'm sure we can think of plenty negativity but now is not the time for arm chair quarterbacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hopefully other ISD's that were affected will do this.
                  Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-02-2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

My kids go to a Cypress school and they are giving free breakfast and lunch for the month of September.

Comment

Originally posted by BetramHunter View Post
                      My kids go to a Cypress school and they are giving free breakfast and lunch for the month of September.

Good deal. IMO this is a rare time when our tax money is well spent.

Comment

I usually hate paying taxes but in this instance I completely support this expenditure. Good move HISD!

Comment

Tax money put to good use IMO.

Have to support the kids, they're the future.

Comment

I much rather something useful like feeding children as compared to supplying them Ipads or other tablets. Heck, a buddy at work said his daughter brought home a surface tablet issued by the school, which is for school books, as there are no hard copy books anymore. He said, the first thing his daughter did when she got home was synch it with their Netflix account.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                              I much rather something useful like feeding children as compared to supplying them Ipads or other tablets. Heck, a buddy at work said his daughter brought home a surface tablet issued by the school, which is for school books, as there are no hard copy books anymore. He said, the first thing his daughter did when she got home was synch it with their Netflix account.
                              I see two problems in this scenario:

1. Poor Security planning by allowing outside software on a school tablet/computer.
                              2. Poor Parenting by allowing the child to have access to a Netflix account on a school tablet/computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X