Still sick, lost a spike yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still sick, lost a spike yesterday

Took a I'll advised shot on a spike yesterday, quartering to at about 8 yards. My impatience towait for a good angle caused me to take a low percentage shot. Aimed just behind the front of his shoulder blade, full pass through, he ran 30-40 yards and stopped at a clearing and looked woozy, so I was pretty confident before I climbed out of the stand. But no blood at the scene of the crime, only some stomach contents. Nor after until he was standing in the clearing and only puddle about the diameter of a sausage patty there. Intermittent trail for 80-100 yards of mixed bright red blood and watery. Fairly certain he went another 40 yards and crossed the fence. Neighbor was out of town. Dog wasn't able to pick up the trail after we lost visible blood, and our mid afternoon grid search turned up empty.

Been bowhunting since I was 16, 38 now and this is only my 2nd deer not recovered

It sucks that's for sure...

Comment

Man it sounds like you just described my first attempt at a bow kill on a doe I shot in Yorktown 5 years ago. Exact same scenario even crossing the neighbors property. Even sadder thing is I filmed mine so if I want to bum myself out I can watch it

Comment

It happens, everyone looses 1-2 over the years

Comment

You know that, if we keep hunting, odds are that it will eventually happen. Knowing you took a risky shot because of impatience, doesn't help. I feel your pain, but we can move on and turn it in to a learning experience.

After a complete dry spell last year, and what looked like another this year due to ankle injury, I took some shots this weekend that I shouldn't have. I did recover my deer, but certainly wasn't happy with the way the hunt went. I am much better than that, but still disappointed in my shots.

I understand what your going through. You - we both - can make it better with our next opportunities.

Good luck.

Comment

Aim for the exit...behind the shoulder on a quartering-to deer is going to come out the guts.
            Sorry you couldn't find the deer. You'll get the next one.

Comment

Lost a nice 8 like that. Bottom limb hit my knee throwing shot off. Deer left a similar trail. Never did find him.

Comment

if you hunt, it will eventually happen....ask me how I know.

Comment

I have lost two and unfortunately one was a 147" wide ten in Kansas the farmer found 3 months later and the other was a mid 160" buck last year that was never recovered. I didn't sleep for a month on either.

Comment

Lesson learned---two kinds of hunters--those who have lost a deer, and those who haven't lost one yet. I believe that we all make mistakes/rush shots, etc. Just learn from it.

Comment

It sucks but it happens...You're only as good as your last shot so pick your head up and continue on

Comment

Thankfully it was only a spike and not a 150 class 8 point

Comment

Lost a doe earlier in the year on a shot the clipped a branch and hit high & back. Still feel sick about not finding the doe when I think about it.

Comment

It sucks but keep your chin up and get back out there.

Comment

Sorry for loosing a deer, but you can learn from it. At that angle and that distance it would have maybe been better to aim in front of the leg in the chest area, but hindsight is always better. A ton of us have been there and if not, we have not been hunting long or have not shot at a lot of deer. It happens unfortunately. Keep you head up.

Comment

Working...
                              X