Need a good thanksgiving turkey recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good thanksgiving turkey recipe

My mom has put me in charge of the turkey this year. Not wanting to fry one and she doesn't have a smoker. That's why I'm asking. She has a gas grill and oven. That's what I'm working with. If anyone knows of a good recipe please share. I would like to impress. Thanks

PWK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In for this. I was going to try smoking on this year, but that doesn't help you much and I don't have a recipe for the oven either. At least not one I can translate on. A little of this and a little of that is all I got and I yet to figure out the exact measurements!

Comment

Man after haven't a fried turkey two years ago that's all we have now. I can never eat a regular turkey again.

Comment

Biggest deal is brining the bird. Look up Alton Brown's brine recipe

Comment

All I can say is my wife rubs to bird in butter and then salt and peppers it. Then right before placing in the oven she puts bacon over it 2-3 slices (cut to fit) in places. She replaces the bacon when it is cooked with fresh bacon and keeps baking.

Comment

Brine the turkey over night (google brine recipes - it is basically water, dissolved salt, spices, and fruit). Rinse and stuff cavity with quartered onions, celery, apples slices, and halved lemons. Rub outside with 50/50 mix of melted butter and cooking oil. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, sage, granulated garlic powder, and rosemary. Use a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh and roast at 350 until thermometer reads 180. Keep an eye on things and baste with pan drippings if it makes you feel better. If breasts or legs start getting too browned cover with foil. Remove the foil at 175ish to allow the skin to crisp up a bit. Remove from oven and let stand for 15-20 minutes then carve and enjoy.

Comment

Ham. Not a turkey fan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Ham. Not a turkey fan.

That helps! [emoji23][emoji23] jk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveS903 View Post
                  Brine the turkey over night (google brine recipes - it is basically water, dissolved salt, spices, and fruit). Rinse and stuff cavity with quartered onions, celery, apples slices, and halved lemons. Rub outside with 50/50 mix of melted butter and cooking oil. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, sage, granulated garlic powder, and rosemary. Use a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh and roast at 350 until thermometer reads 180. Keep an eye on things and baste with pan drippings if it makes you feel better. If breasts or legs start getting too browned cover with foil. Remove the foil at 175ish to allow the skin to crisp up a bit. Remove from oven and let stand for 15-20 minutes then carve and enjoy.

This sounds like you may be on to something sir!!!

Comment

Buy a quality turkey. Smoke it for an hour or two low heat. Inject with garlic butter. Not margarine, butter. Bake covered until done.

Comment

just order one from Greenberg

Comment

Watch these videos and give it a try. You don't have to use the exact recipes, but you can take something from each one.

1. I'd use the brine method and the salt, pepper, garlic rub from the How To BBQ Right video.

2. I'd use the spatchcock method on a sheet pan from the All Things BBQ video. I like that method because you can really put a lot of seasoning directly on the meat.

3. I personally like injections, but they aren't as necessary of you watch your temps and don't overcook your bird. That is the most important thing.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Do a rib roast. Everyone will like you better.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Shark View Post
                            just order one from Greenberg
                            I seem to agree with this if the OP is limited on not frying or smoking...

Comment

I cooked on my gas grill breast down. Buy a oval throw away aluminum pan. Salt, pepper and inject then put breast side down and tighten sides to keep it level. I lit one side and put the bird on the other and slow cooked it with the lid closed. Came out great.

Comment

Working...
                              X