No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Elk hunting backpack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make the same trip every year. If this is your first time, my recommendation would be the Badlands 2200 or any other lightweight pack that holds your essentials. Mine is actually made by Red Head, has the mesh support that keeps the pack off your back, which helps a lot. You may walk a ways, but don't buy it expecting to pack a bull elk out on your back like Cameron Hanes. Use the horses for the heavy stuff. I use Under Armor boots, but used a pair of Rocky boots for years. Get something comfortable, but affordable and spend the money you save on the best pair of binoculars you can afford. If I had $1500 to spend on horse packed hunt, I'd have a $150 pair of boots, $100 pack and $1250 binoculars.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
      Eberlestock will work for the price. I took one on my dall sheep hunt last year. Overall happy until I loaded it heavy. Seemed to ride low and pull away from my back with heavy weight. As mentioned above, but the best boots you can afford and break them in. Good luck!
      I was able to get them half off through a promotion at the time I was pack shopping. Because of the awesome price difference, I was just about ready to get a Black Widow until I went to the store, loaded it up with 80 pounds of rock salt, and walked around with it for an hour. I felt horrible afterwards, and not just sore. I mean, my hips hurt like hell and I am used to rucking with that kind of weight. The general consensus I have gotten on Eberlestock has been the same. I then decided I was going to get the Destroyer until I reevaluated what I wanted. Do I want a glorified backpacking pack or a pack designed for hunting and packing meat.

Now their tactical packs, holy crap they rock!

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
        If I had $1500 to spend on horse packed hunt, I'd have a $150 pair of boots, $100 pack and $1250 binoculars.
        Sore feet will kill your hunt faster than not going at all Shop around and you can get a great pair of boots at a killer price.

Comment

I have the badlands 2200 and like it but would get the 2800 if getting another. The 2200 is an odd size that's really more than you need for a day pack, but not quite enough for a multi-day spike - you can make it work, but you'll have a lot strapped to the outside.

Agreed it is not a meat pack, but hard to really get a pack that's truly both. I have a simple meat pack that I generally keep in the truck at the trailhead. All I really look for is a pack that will get my gear and the first load of odd cuts (usually straps and tenders - maybe a front shoulder on the first load) with my gear - don't need a shelf for that. then I swap packs after getting the first load out.

Comment

I have an older Kuiu I used in BC and like it. You need to pay attention to weights of the pack and load ranges. I've always been a Badlands guy till I was going mtn goat hunting, they are heavy. I still use them for day hunts but I consider them unrealistic to pack in with, they are just too heavy. The Kifaru, stone glacier, kuiu, some Osprey (Argon) and a few others out there will fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
              Sore feet will kill your hunt faster than not going at all Shop around and you can get a great pair of boots at a killer price.
              I only suggest this because of the type of hunting he is doing. I spend hours if not days glassing on horseback, for the animals I want to hunt. Then I'll ride to the safest distance I can without spooking them and tie off, usually within a mile, and put a stalk on those animals. He'll most likely be saddle sore anyway. My feet never hurt, but my shins kill me every year from walking downhill.

Comment

I have a Badlands Superday with a camelback in it. It's got the mesh and metal rack to keep the sweat off your back.

It's probably 5-6 years old and I have used it a lot and it holds up incredibly well. It wouldn't fit much elk in it, but it's ok because I didn't even see one last trip. Great day pack, for carrying elk, I would just get all the friends you have and pack it out the next day.

Comment

Working...
                X