ExxonMobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ExxonMobile

Anyone work for ExxonMobile? They are building a new refinery near corpus Christi, and I have applied for a operators position. I have never been inside of a refinery, so I'm looking for a few pointers. I have been in education for 13 years and am looking for a career change that will provide better for my family.
    I completed phase one of the application process. Next, I guess, is I will be contacted by a recruiter if they like the application/resume.
    Anyone have any pointers for the hiring/interview process?

If I'm lucky enough to land the Job I'll be going to the Beaumont plant to train until the plant in corpus opens. Could be 18 months - 2 years.

Invest

Comment

I haven’t worked for Exxon Mobil myself but know of people that work in the refineries. The folks I am speaking of started young, invested wisely and participated in their retirement plans. They retired with 7 figures in their plans and were hourly. They have a good reputation but as with all employers there isn’t a perfect job. I retired from a different oil company.

Comment

Refinery or ethylene cracker? Not to be a smartass... But, there is a big difference.

Either way... Exxon Mobil has good pay and benefits. On the interviews answer honestly. Don't ad lib, and if you do not know admit you do not know. Also, dress professionally. You would be surprised what some people will wear to a $100,000.00 a year interview. I have set in on a number of them.

Also, it should be a lot cleaner operation than a refinery.
        Last edited by Bayouboy; 07-15-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I believe it’s a petrochemical plant not a refinery. Make sure you have the distinction down before an interview.

Comment

Crackers

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
              I believe it’s a petrochemical plant not a refinery. Make sure you have the distinction down before an interview.
              Most definitely!

Comment

The Corpus Christi plant will be a HDPE polyethylene unit. I work at the Beaumont BPEP plant where they'll be training. Most of them will be training in utilities. ExxonMobil is definitely at the top for pay and benefits. Polyethylene is a different animal. It's not a very reliable process, especially High Pressure poly(LDPE), which is what I deal with. If you can manage to make 20+ years without going crazy, you're looking at nearly a million dollar pension plus 401K.

The hiring process is different now than when I hired in over two years ago. The interview I had was the typical situational questions, co worker interaction and safety related jargon. It is a different world in these places. Throw any inkling of common sense out the window. Just come to work on time, follow the rules and try to make the best of it. The saying around here is Exxon makes dollars, not sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ptaylortx View Post
                  The Corpus Christi plant will be a HDPE polyethylene unit. I work at the Beaumont BPEP plant where they'll be training. Most of them will be training in utilities. ExxonMobil is definitely at the top for pay and benefits. Polyethylene is a different animal. It's not a very reliable process, especially High Pressure poly(LDPE), which is what I deal with. If you can manage to make 20+ years without going crazy, you're looking at nearly a million dollar pension plus 401K.

The hiring process is different now than when I hired in over two years ago. The interview I had was the typical situational questions, co worker interaction and safety related jargon. It is a different world in these places. Throw any inkling of common sense out the window. Just come to work on time, follow the rules and try to make the best of it. The saying around here is Exxon makes dollars, not sense.
                  Dang lol. Last line tells me I would hate it.

From my experience, those types of interviews don’t tell you much about a person or their knowledge. Seen more of the fake it till you make it types nail those than the true operators. Is that what you’ve seen?

Comment

Thanks guys. Alot if the questions y'all have show me what I need to look into. I don't know anything about this type of work, but I've had lots if people tell me that's a plus in some ways, cause if I meet their personality test, they can train me the way they want.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I do know that there are two Exxon plants in Beaumont that they will be training at. Sure does give me some info to look into!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

From my experience, those types of interviews don’t tell you much about a person or their knowledge. Seen more of the fake it till you make it types nail those than the true operators. Is that what you’ve seen?

We've definitely got a lot of "plugs" working out here. I wonder every day what in their interview made them a good candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
                          Thanks for the info! I do know that there are two Exxon plants in Beaumont that they will be training at. Sure does give me some info to look into!
                          If you're going to work in polyethylene, go ahead and get it out of your head that operators just sit around. We work our *** off out here. Unit trips and shutdowns are nearly a daily routine. There's a lot of *** time in a distillation unit, but we work for out money here. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Bingo

Comment

We've definitely got a lot of "plugs" working out here. I wonder every day what in their interview made them a good candidate.
                              Kin folk, friends, and quotas.

Comment

Working...
                              X