No announcement yet.

3 fingers under louder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting stuff. So my bow is a Pearson Hunter recurve. Can it not be tillered to 3 under if already tillered for split? For me, I shoot decent with split so I may continue with that, but just curious at this point.

Comment

It can be re-tillered but I would suggest using a professional bowyer especially for a recurve. They can be a lot harder than a standard longbow due to the limbs being thin. You will probably lose some poundage also due to the material removal.

Not something I would recommend. I don't think you'd see enough difference to make it worth while.

JMO

JC

Comment

Try playing around a bit with both a higher bow grip/pressure point and nocking point.
        You might make a big difference without any mods to your bow!

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          It's not how the bow is tillered but how you have your fingers when you draw. Almost every person that I have seen go to 3 under tends to draw with more pull on the bottom finger. That makes that part of the string have to jump forward to get back in line with the rest of the string. You should have the most pressure on the top finger, less on the next and the least on the bottom. Do that and you will hardly be able to tell the difference. Your fingers should look like mine in this picture.
          Here ya go fellas!! Best answer so far. Proper grip, proper back tension , and a clean release is the answer for shooting 3 under. If you can do this with a bow that is tillered 1/8 positive and with one that is tillered even then you won't be able to tell any difference. The position of your grip hand also has some to do with it. But you will always have people argue till they are blue in the face about it because they've always been told the opposite
          Last edited by Randy Madden; 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

BTW, I get less noise and a cleaner release since I started drawing with 3 under but then drop my pinkie completely off the string at anchor. You might try it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              BTW, I get less noise and a cleaner release since I started drawing with 3 under but then drop my pinkie completely off the string at anchor. You might try it.
              Interesting!! You definitely might be onto something.
              Dan Toelke uses a method where he draws split finger and then removes his index finger before the release

Comment

Sorry guys, could not help myself but to share, guess dropping fingers is easier with my string hand....
                Lost to a hydraulic wood-splitter some years back!
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a pretty drastic way to ensure a clean release - you are one dedicated archer!

Comment

Mine seems to be a tad louder but way more accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten View Post
                      Sorry guys, could not help myself but to share, guess dropping fingers is easier with my string hand....
                      Lost to a hydraulic wood-splitter some years back!
                      Ouch. Sorry about your 'loss'. But since you have a sense of humor about it...you might consider shaving a little off that pinky to get them proportionate again...

Comment

I can tell y'all, I took a chunk off it too while I was at it, but the bone was intact and the pinky stayed!
                        This was back in my boom stick only days, but knowing what I know now I should have done a "better" job, lol.....

Comment

3under is a tad louder than split, especially when it's tillered for split like Bisch said above but It's not to bad when you have your bow tuned correctly and I prefer better accuracy over quietness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            That's a pretty drastic way to ensure a clean release - you are one dedicated archer!
                            Good thing he's not an Amazon!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              3 under is almost always a little louder, esp if the bow is tillered for split.

Bisch
                              I was going to say this. It's not really louder unless it's improperly tillered...which is no bueno if you have a one piece that can't be adjusted!

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                                It's not how the bow is tillered but how you have your fingers when you draw. Almost every person that I have seen go to 3 under tends to draw with more pull on the bottom finger. That makes that part of the string have to jump forward to get back in line with the rest of the string. You should have the most pressure on the top finger, less on the next and the least on the bottom. Do that and you will hardly be able to tell the difference. Your fingers should look like mine in this picture.
                                I think this makes it louder for the same reason string walking is so loud. The nock of the arrow is away from the apex of the draw. You don't draw 3 under with all 3 fingers in the same plane with the same pressure (or at least you're not supposed to) because it makes a weird draw apex that has to catch up with the nock of the arrow.

It'll also make your arrow flight a little squirrely.

Comment

Working...
                                X