Ok to put cabinets up before paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok to put cabinets up before paint?

My contractor builds cabinets on site and wants to start on Monday. Painter is on another job and is a couple weeks out. Is it ok to install all the cabiniets and trim and vanities before any paint goes on the textured drywall?

In my experience, the painter will spray the paint. The problem will be over spray.

Comment

What's the painter say?

Comment

You can but your painter is going to get paint on your new cabinets.

Comment

Painter doesn't spray anything. he is old school and rolls and brushes everything. I am not sure what the painter said. He paints for the contractor.

Comment

I am a finish carpenter here in Oregon. The main builder I work for puts cabinets in all the floors and interior trim before paint. The painter wants it that way. I think it depends on painter.

Comment

Be sure you get enough plastic and tape to cover the cabinets and you should be okay as long as the cabinets have a back and won't be showing an unpainted wall behind them.

Comment

Having custom cabinets, doors and trim in before paint is pretty typical. I've never seen it done any other way and I've seen lots. If they were boxed cabinets then they would be installed after paint.

Comment

They painted ours after cabinets were installed.

Comment

we install cabinets then paint all the time.

Comment

they are all backed on the walls. I had heard that smells could get in the sheetrock if they were not at least primed but doesn't seem like it is that big of deal.

Comment

Depends on how good the painter covers the cabinets. If he just throws the cover sheet up your cabinets work be covered with overstay

Comment

Its fine, however you want at least one tape and bed of mud on drywall joints first for obvious reasons.

Comment

the walls were all taped and mudded and then textured already

Comment

Been painting 35 years. it's ok just a little more work for the painter. If I was the painter I would come over on Sat or Sun and at least do the areas that are getting the cabinets.

Comment

Working...
                              X