Which Tires To Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Tires To Buy

I am looking at tires for a truck that will be used on the lease in west TX, and also on the highway for 5-6 hrs at a time to get me there.

Rocky terrain, cactus, thorns everywhere. Can only avoid so much.

It looks like the BFG A/T has a pretty strong sidewall.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Will be carrying around plugs and fix-a-flat regardless.

BFG all terrains with slime. Got 72,000 miles out of last set, could have gone further.

Comment

I have the Goodyear Wranglers with Kevlar on my company truck...they have been great.

Comment

Goodyear Duratracs. Just bought a set for my truck, were $50 cheaper than BFG's, and are far superior to BFG's (Not knocking BFG's, my previous two sets were them. Found this deal on Duratracs at Discount Tire, had to switch). 275/60r20.

Comment

Does putting slime in tires used for highway affect the driving at all? Never used it.

Comment

I put 65k on my 33x12.50r20 Toyo MT's (10ply) without a flat, plug or slime. Drove to the lease and all over the property on a regular basis.

Love those tires

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
              I put 65k on my 33x12.50r20 Toyo MT's (10ply) without a flat, plug or slime. Drove to the lease and all over the property on a regular basis.

Love those tires
              Exactly. These are the best tires out there, IMO. Bought some used from here and got 42,000 miles after I bought them. I think they had around 20,000 miles when I got them.

Now, Toyo makes the Open Country M/T in a 12 ply tire with a 6 or 8 ply sidewall I believe.

Toyo is the tire that will go on my trucks from here on out. Worth the money to me!

Comment

I'm looking also, for my dually. I did not have good luck with the toyo mts. Only got 35000 on my truck and they are pretty much slicks now!

Comment

Toyo Open Country AT2 is what I have. Love them and 10 ply

Comment

Just had a set of BFG AT KO2 tires put on yesterday. F350 4x4

Comment

Toyo at2

Comment

I'm running the Toyo RT's and really like them so far. I know in the size I am running (35X12.50R20) they offer a 10 ply (Load range E) and a 12 ply (Load range F).

Comment

Any of the Kevlar reinforced tires mentioned are good choices but can be pricey. I picked up a set of Cooper st/maxx tires (Craigslist find, new with stickers and saved almost $100 per tire) and I have to say I am very pleased thus far. Quiet at highway speed, and I’m in an 06 silverado that doesn’t offer much in the ways of sound deadening compared to newer model trucks. Great at handling mud and loose terrain. Good sidewall construction and when aired down a few psi, they soak up rocks, ruts, etc. very nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't been impressed with the K02 on my 2500 based on how quickly they've worn. Can't really comment on toughness of them but the tread compound is softer than some. Getting ready to replace them with Cooper ST Maxx. Toyos are nice too but expensive. Alot of tire shops won't work on them if you slime them as the stuff's not intended for on road use and they don't want the liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsp View Post
                              I'm looking also, for my dually. I did not have good luck with the toyo mts. Only got 35000 on my truck and they are pretty much slicks now!
                              It is a dually. If used for what a dually should be used for, then I would think 35,000 miles is dang good. Now, if you have the dually just because and drive it like a commuter car, then I would say 35,000 miles is not very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X