Welding advice needed for a rookie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding advice needed for a rookie.

I have a stick welder and just got a wire feed smaller one. I have a self darkening helmet.

Problem is ... when I go to welding...things seem a little too dark. I am kinda guessing where the puddle is or should be.

Should the helmet allow me to see pretty good once the weld sparks or is it just the nature of the beast while welding. AND yes it is a harbor freight self darkening helmet, Should I get a better helmet?

thanx folks,

Change to a lighter shade of tent, glass comes in diff shades of tent.

Comment

Too dark is better than not dark enough. I would think that maybe your hood has an adjustable lens in it? If so turn it down until you can see, but not down so far to where you burn your eyes. Around 9-10 should be good shade, and you might need 8 if you're a more seasoned gentleman.

All that being said I wouldn't trust my eyes to a harbor freight hood. If you like welding with auto lenses I'd look at a better quality manufacture like Jackson, Miller, and so on for complete package deal. You could also switch over to straight glass which will never not go dark or blink on and off while welding. They also sell 2"x4" auto lenses too. I have a Miller that I very seldom use, but there are several good manufactures also. If it was me I'd switch to a glass lens, but that's what I use everyday.

You only get one set of eyes, and mine are to presious to gamble with a cheap-o welding lens.

Comment

No experience with auto lenses but thought most have an adjustment

Comment

Hf hoods suck. Get a miller pro hobby for around 125-150 a get to burning wire, stick or tig. You may also need "extra" light on your work.

Comment

Def buy a quality helmet. It's YOUR eyes.

Comment

thanx guys

Comment

I use save phase.....I like it. Miller is good too....

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  No experience with auto lenses but thought most have an adjustment
                  Same here. Everybody I know that has a auto, can adjust the shade. I use a shade 10 in the shop and a 9 when I'm outside.

Comment

Buy a quality hood and save your eyes. Throw away the HF hood immediately. Don't give it to anyone you care about.

Comment

What about the Northern Tool helments? Mine seems to work OK but don't want to burn the eyes.

Comment

I don't know that I ever looked at the shade adjustment. Yeah, I know dumb of me. Gonna check it out once it thaws out outside.

Comment

To dark. You can't weld if you cant see...... But please take care of your eyes

Comment

Most of hf are adjustable from #9-13. I agree with the others, don't skimp on the safety.

Comment

Something else to consider. How far is your face from the work?

HF used to have 2 auto dark hoods, one with shade adjustment one without.

Comment

Working...
                              X