No announcement yet.

Hot Shot hauling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on what you want to haul. I use a hot shot service quite frequently for hauling parts for the company I work for delivering from the Dallas area to Nacogdoches. Cost is generally around $450 dollars each time and you could haul what we need in a Prius.

Comment

It’s, not my company it’s my son’. He has looked into factoring before but wasn’t ready to go that route. Like I said he has been doing it for a little over 10 years and thanks to hard, smart work & to the Lord he is successful. The point I was trying to make is there is so much more to this business than just “ go buy a truck”. He employs over 50 drivers, 2 managers, 2 shop personnel and manages to pay them every two weeks. So, he is making good money. Just want the OP to understand that he needs to plan & manage his resources carefully if he wants to make a living from this industry. It is very competitive and there will be down time to deal with so he needs to plan accordingly. I wish him all the luck in his venture.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
        It’s, not my company it’s my son’. He has looked into factoring before but wasn’t ready to go that route. Like I said he has been doing it for a little over 10 years and thanks to hard, smart work & to the Lord he is successful. The point I was trying to make is there is so much more to this business than just “ go buy a truck”. He employs over 50 drivers, 2 managers, 2 shop personnel and manages to pay them every two weeks. So, he is making good money. Just want the OP to understand that he needs to plan & manage his resources carefully if he wants to make a living from this industry. It is very competitive and there will be down time to deal with so he needs to plan accordingly. I wish him all the luck in his venture.
        Thanks for the info. Im trying to get all the info i can to make a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
          Depends on what you want to haul. I use a hot shot service quite frequently for hauling parts for the company I work for delivering from the Dallas area to Nacogdoches. Cost is generally around $450 dollars each time and you could haul what we need in a Prius.
          Not trying to stick to one thing unless it just works out that way. What kinda of parts are you shipping? Maybe I can find something similar around Austin.

For smaller stuff I can use the wife's Honda HRV!!

If i can get by with the F150 and the F250 I already have that works for me. Ill just need a trailer.

Comment

I have know a lot of hot shotters, several personal friends. I don't know anyone who has made it last. You need big bucks keep it going when things go south.....and they always do.

I can ship anything that will fit on a pallet just about anywhere in the US overnight for $400. You can't touch that trying to drive a truck.

Comment

I have 3 friends who went belly up trying it.

Comment

You have to save money. My ex BIL was doing it full time. He was the type who wanted to work when he wanted to. He quit his job and went full time. Bought a dodge dually and 40’ gooseneck. He was bragging one day how he made $85k that year. I didn’t think that was that great but was assuming that was his net income after all expenses paid. In a couple years he wore out the truck, and was still making payments on it. It needed fuel injectors and he didn’t even have the money to pay for it. He was making payments on a truck and trailer and couldn’t even use it. He took a loss selling the trailer and went majorly upside down on trading the truck in after my dad paid to fix it. My point is don’t go too deep, and put back money for expenses. He didn’t and looked like a fool

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

I can ship anything that will fit on a pallet just about anywhere in the US overnight for $400. You can't touch that trying to drive a truck.
                  Sure I could if I planned for a return load paying more for someone else your load would be gas money.

Comment

First off, go to DPS and see what it takes to reinstate your CDL. You may be able to take your physical and get it done, otherwise you're looking at written and driving all over again. The driving isn't what it used to be, fail rates are unbelievable.
                    Secondly, check with local companies that use owner operators. There are those that use pickups, vans, and 1 ton flat beds without trailers. You can get your feet wet there and see if it fits what you want before sinking money into it.
                    Good luck!

Comment

I used to hot shot. I had a pretty sweet deal while it lasted. I had an '06 Freightliner Summit Hauler and pulled a 45 foot spread axle gooseneck. I was doing mostly local stuff...I would come to town about 7 in the morning, pull 4 or 5 loads and get back home by about 5:30 or 6:00 every evening with an occasional (say...once a month) over night trip somewhere. But, like a lot of people have said, it's hard to make it last. You wind up essentially being on call 24/7/365. You can make really good money, until something breaks, or the loads quit coming...and either or both of those things will happen. A lot of people think, "I'll buy a truck and let someone else drive it." NO ONE will take care of your equipment...and you will be left with a vehicle parked at some truck stop in Montana or somewhere that you have to go get.

Some people make it...I didn't, I apparently sucked at it.

I left that and bought a Peterbilt and went to hauling cows...that was great money and great people, but ALOT of hours. I sold all of the trucks a few years back and went back to a desk job.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Hillbilly Rockstar; 04-18-2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I have a dump trailer that makes good money on the side when it is not tied up on the jobsite. Not really a hot shot, but I guy could make some $$$ if he worked at it...

Comment

I have a buddy that owns a logistics company in Houston. They're always looking for drivers, though I'm not sure if they need hot shots or just 18-wheelers.

Comment

Freight Rates are at an all time high right now. The new electronic log was made mandatory this month (no more manipulating paper logs ). Its added an extra day on most trips across country. I have been a freight agent for over 25 years and what I am seeing right now is crazy. I expect anything that is shipped on a truck will be increasing in price unless they change the law back.

That being said , Its still a tough business for the small trucker , cash flow is what kills most guys.

Comment

I use 3-4 companies regularly who do hotshot hauling. It's a very competitive market right now, especially in the Houston area. I've seen the smaller guys come and go over the last 12 years, and it's sad because those are the guys I like to use.

Comment

My little brother has been trying to make the trucking thing work for about 10 years. First he was delivering new truck piggy-back on each other. many many times he'd get stuck in bfe and have to hire a service to pick him up and take to station. Then he bought a trailer to deliver trucks. The trailer is always breaking, replaced the hydraulics several times. His F350 has had to have everything replaced. Driving that much and hauling things in all types of conditions you are bound to have something break. He has not been able to put any money aside. Get a small car and contact your local pharmacy distribution centers. I do that on the side using my harley or a small Yaris we have. At night i will end up doing a ton of old people homes that need last minute meds. And I do it when I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X