Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slinky's on the feeder legs! No more Coons!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about squirrels Jeff?? You've about got me convinced to give this a whirl... on one or 2 of my feeders... Think I'll ask my bride to buy me 2 sets of slinky's and start there.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      What about squirrels Jeff?? You've about got me convinced to give this a whirl... on one or 2 of my feeders... Think I'll ask my bride to buy me 2 sets of slinky's and start there.
      I think there's a fella' on here selling them...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        I think there's a fella' on here selling them...

This guy right here ^^^^ will give you a bulk discount

Charlie, I didn't have a squirrel issue so I can't say one way or the other.

Comment

SS, in my post above, I address squirrels. They were getting to my cage before. I had pics of them. Since slinkyfying them...no squirrels on the cage.

Comment

Yea, I saw your "slinky cam" pics in your live hunt thread... Man I hope this works!! Gonna try to get a couple going soon as my feeders feed out enough to raise the legs enough to get 'em on... Got one now that I can get going... be a couple weeks before any of my others are light enough to move...

Comment

Yea, I saw your "slinky cam" pics in your live hunt thread... Man I hope this works!! Gonna try to get a couple going soon as my feeders feed out enough to raise the legs enough to get 'em on... Got one now that I can get going... be a couple weeks before any of my others are light enough to move...
              You don't have to raise the legs, just wind them on. Takes longer, but easier on the back...

Comment

I know this thread is about the slinky coon solutions but I just thought I'd update you guys on my situation FWIW

THE SITUATION:I hunt a piece of land in a creek bottom that is FILLED with coons. They were climbing my feeder legs on all my feeders and sticking their hands through the varmint cages to spin the corn off the plates at an alarming rate (Like think 4 times as fast to empty a feeder). I had hundreds of pics of entire families of coons on/around my feeders nightly.

THE SOLUTION: The carpet tack strips have completely solved my issues. I duct taped one 36" strip on all four sides about 24 inches up the leg. Securing it in three spots (bottom, middle, top). The first week they were showing daily as per the usual and had pics of the attempted and failed climbings. Then the camera sightings started tapering off to the point now that I might get 1 coon on camera over a two week period on my cameras. They don't even show up anymore, I think its because the deer are eating the corn in the mornings and evenings before they show up. I have now removed the "varmint" cages since all they were doing was deflecting the corn and all is right in the world (sort of lol)

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                  I know this thread is about the slinky coon solutions but I just thought I'd update you guys on my situation FWIW

THE SITUATION:I hunt a piece of land in a creek bottom that is FILLED with coons. They were climbing my feeder legs on all my feeders and sticking their hands through the varmint cages to spin the corn off the plates at an alarming rate (Like think 4 times as fast to empty a feeder). I had hundreds of pics of entire families of coons on/around my feeders nightly.

THE SOLUTION: The carpet tack strips have completely solved my issues. I duct taped one 36" strip on all four sides about 24 inches up the leg. Securing it in three spots (bottom, middle, top). The first week they were showing daily as per the usual and had pics of the attempted and failed climbings. Then the camera sightings started tapering off to the point now that I might get 1 coon on camera over a two week period on my cameras. They don't even show up anymore, I think its because the deer are eating the corn in the mornings and evenings before they show up. I have now removed the "varmint" cages since all they were doing was deflecting the corn and all is right in the world (sort of lol)

No problem posting it here. The goal is to get the coons off the feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    You don't have to raise the legs, just wind them on. Takes longer, but easier on the back...
                    Dang!! I feel pretty durn stoopid... and I R N-GA-NEAR...

Comment

Interesting. Mine used the carpet tack strips for traction.

Comment

I won't rain on your parade too much but the carpet tacks are only a temporary fix IMO. Eventually those thieving bastages will figure them out...same as the Sharks Teeth. They essentially become coon stairs. And you sure don't want to forget those things are attached to the feeder legs while walking around filling them. As me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Interesting. Mine used the carpet tack strips for traction.
                          Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                          I won't rain on your parade too much but the carpet tacks are only a temporary fix IMO. Eventually those thieving bastages will figure them out...same as the Sharks Teeth. They essentially become coon stairs. And you sure don't want to forget those things are attached to the feeder legs while walking around filling them. As me how I know.
                          My experience as well... corn loss to coons went up not down when I added the carpet tack strips...

Comment

Antlercollector must be a believer he just bought another 6 from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              Antlercollector must be a believer he just bought another 6 from me.
                              I guess I need to give them a shot!
                              Just ordered 12 from you.

Comment

I’ll get’em headed your way Monday morning thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X