Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo Elk Scouting Trip: What I Learned (and Dealing with Altitude Sickness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo Elk Scouting Trip: What I Learned (and Dealing with Altitude Sickness)

I was in Denver for business before Memorial weekend, and (since my wife and daughter were going to be out of town) I decided to stay in Colorado through the weekend and head to the mountains to hike and scout the area we'll be hunting in September.

I pushed a little too hard during the day Saturday (hiked over 7 miles), allowed myself get a little dehydrated and ended up with altitude sickness (most notably vomiting and feeling very lethargic) Saturday evening and again several times on my 5+ mile hike out on Sunday.

I learned a lot about my gear and about my(current)self on this trip that will help me better prepare for September. My lethargy and illness prevented me from filming as much as I wanted, but I did put together a little video about a few of the things I learned on the trip.

Oh, and I did see elk!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38OigxQ5Uq4&t=27s[/ame]

I spent a couple of nights over Memorial Weekend in the Rocky Mountains testing gear and scouting our fall hunting area for elk. I experienced some highs an...
    My Flickr Photos

Awesome!!! The amount of information and details makes me feel like I'm along on the journey! Just left a comment. Can't wait for the LIVE Elk Hunt come season!

Comment

That altitude sickness is no joke! Always takes me a couple of days to grind through it when I first go to the mointains. Feels like you have a hangover.

Comment

Buy yourself a little finger O2 sat meter and see how you're sat is doing every once in a while as you gain elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          Awesome!!! The amount of information and details makes me feel like I'm along on the journey! Just left a comment. Can't wait for the LIVE Elk Hunt come season!
          Thanks for the comments, here and on YouTube. I always appreciate the additional feedback on the YouTube channel!

I may have to allocate some of the Garmin Inreach data for updates!
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
            Buy yourself a little finger O2 sat meter and see how you're sat is doing every once in a while as you gain elevation.
            Interesting. I'll check that out. I may look into the Rx for altitude sickness prevention, as well. Honestly, though, I think it had as much to do with dehydration as anything.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Looks like a dream time!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Interesting. I'll check that out. I may look into the Rx for altitude sickness prevention, as well. Honestly, though, I think it had as much to do with dehydration as anything.
                I had the altitude deal in Taos years ago skiing. It was brutal. I didn't think I would make it back to the condo (seriously).....and it was ski in, ski out. Hydration is definitely the key!

Jealous....you guys are going to have a great time on this upcoming hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I have developed hypoxia and I'm only at 5300'. I feel altitude all the time now.
                  If I walk to far I drag an o2 bottle.
                  A few days in and you will be ok. Keep up with your electrolytes.
                  Last edited by ladrones; 06-05-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

What altitude where you hiking at?

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                      I have developed hypoxia and I'm only at 5300'. I feel altitude all the time now.
                      If I walk to far I drag an o2 bottle.
                      A few days in and you will be ok. Keep up with your electrolytes.

That's one thing I didn't have and I was literally craving them! All I wanted when I got back to town is a Gatorade. I bought two knowing the first one would come back up (it did![emoji15]). I sipped the second one slower!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                        What altitude where you hiking at?

I hiked up to about 9800' and then descended back to 8700' to set up camp. We'll be hunting at 10-11k+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have no clue if these work but they are in stores all over up here now and other brands too : boostoxygen.com
                          We live at 7,220 ft and every college teams that comes to town has oxygen on the bench.

Comment

Use Tums for early altitude sickness. It eases the headache but nothing works if you’re dehydrated.

Comment

Get a good puffy jacket and take it, even in June. We pack ours here and will use them at night. Our last snow hit in May....you get caught in it without warmth and things can go bad quick.

Yeah, cut that side hanging out .

As much as you'd want to and how cool it is, I'd leave the camera gear at home and concentrate on the hunt. Too much to worry about and heavy to bring in.

JMO

Comment

Working...
                              X