2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
    Looking awesome this year again Michael!

Thank you bud! Now that we are on our 5th year of gardening like this, I will never till again. Every year it becomes more productive and less work. Mid June I will start the seeds for the Autumn planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Oh one more thing, I allow most of the flowering weeds to grow. They bring in pollinating insects that only help. I will pull the grasses out however.

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
        Oh one more thing, I allow most of the flowering weeds to grow. They bring in pollinating insects that only help. I will pull the grasses out however.

I planted a whole pollinator bed this year for the same reason. I realized that all the good insects were reduced by trying to control the bad ones with insecticides. I am hoping to continue the beneficial insect population growth I saw when I went all organic and interspersed/companion planting.
        Also, it is amazing what bugs you can beat by knowing what herbs/flowers they don’t like.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 03-27-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          I planted a whole pollinator bed this year for the same reason. I realized that all the good insects were reduced by trying to control the bad ones with insecticides. I am hoping to continue the beneficial insect population growth I saw when I went all organic and interspersed/companion planting.
          Also, it is amazing what bugs you can beat by knowing what herbs/flowers they don’t like.

So very true!

Comment

Really excited over our artichoke!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D1D69C7F-A42F-47EC-A62E-0EC06BABF939.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	24535477

Comment

WOW! Your plants always look so dang healthy! ... and zero bug signs. How do you overcome the bad bugs?

Those artichokes look awesome with a good plumpness and vibrant color!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                WOW! Your plants always look so dang healthy! ... and zero bug signs. How do you overcome the bad bugs?

Those artichokes look awesome with a good plumpness and vibrant color!
                Thanks, can’t wait to taste it!

Believe me, we get our share of bugs. Mites and aphids took out 3 of the 4 artichokes I planted last year. They seem to love my peppers too, still haven't gotten a decent harvest from any variety. Implemented Epson salt to my peppers and it looks like they are taking a liking. I'm working on improving soil in hopes it reduces unwanted bugs. I've notice the healthier the plant the less susceptible they are to getting hit. I have limited space to work with so if I have to spray I will, bugs can wipe you out quick if your not careful. If I get a hard infestation of something I'll spray with triple action (ferti-lome) ( https://www.fertilome.com/product/triple-action-16-oz). It's OMRI, pretty effective and you can use up to day of harvest. I mix it with a citrus oil. For worms and anything that bites the plant I'll pick off by hand. For an infestation I’ll spray with Spinosad (ferti-lome) ( https://www.fertilome.com/product/spinosad-8oz) also OMRI listed. Haven't had to spray in quite a while, but with the warm weather approaching I know bugs will be back sooner than not. Gonna try mixing a garlic/pepper spray that I saw on the BTE videos.

Comment

Thanks for the info... IF my bride's garden ever dries out enough, I'll help her do bug control. Last year we had every bug known that eats garden plants. Squash bugs wiped out our squash and zucchini plants. Was able to salvage some of them with a liquid treatment that I injected into the infected stems then covered the stems with dirt. They rerooted and began to produce again... That's about the only partial success story I have from last year's bug wars...

Comment

Did anyone do anything to keep their garden from freezing?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                      Did anyone do anything to keep their garden from freezing?

I covered my tomatoes and peppers as precaution. Barely got to 40 here so no issues

Comment

I put my tomatoes and peppers that are in pots up against the house with a sheet over them and a sheet and blanket over the raised beds of tomatoes and tree seedlings. It has been 33/34F here all morning with light rain on/off and a 21 deg wind chill. I hope they make it.

Comment

Garden is looking good these days!

Comment

i just put some compost from a Living Earth Site in my raised beds and topped off our landscaping. Has anyone ever used their manure based organic amendments (compose). Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                              i just put some compost from a Living Earth Site in my raised beds and topped off our landscaping. Has anyone ever used their manure based organic amendments (compose). Thanks
                              When I built my bed originally I filled it with a yard of their vegetable garden soil mix and I was unimpressed. My dad uses their compost a lot and really likes it

Comment

I covered mine with tarps the past 2 nights. They are looking sickly today, maybe they will make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X