No announcement yet.

Anyone eat jackrabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago, hunted a large ranch out of pleasanton. there was a huge Mexican cook at the kitchen and he served fantastic sausage that he made. One of my friends asked him what he made it with thinking it was deer and wild hog. NO! He said it was half jack rabbit and half burro. my friend says, " How the heck do you get enough jackrabbit to mix with the burro meat?". " EAZZZZY! One jackrabbit and one burro". yummy

Comment

We eat them. Just back quarters and the straps. Take meat off bones. Run through tenderizer, Cajun seasoning, buttermilk, flour, hot grease. The industrial tenderizer helps I am sure, but it's pretty good vittles. Tastes great.
      Last edited by N.DaWoods; 03-08-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I love them in a slow cooker when making southwest tacos.

Comment

You can eat them. I prefer not to. Better than coon though.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Holy smokes....that cracked me up!

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Years ago, hunted a large ranch out of pleasanton. there was a huge Mexican cook at the kitchen and he served fantastic sausage that he made. One of my friends asked him what he made it with thinking it was deer and wild hog. NO! He said it was half jack rabbit and half burro. my friend says, " How the heck do you get enough jackrabbit to mix with the burro meat?". " EAZZZZY! One jackrabbit and one burro". yummy

Comment

More often than not they're kind of like jerky in a fur wrapping before you even try to cook them, I've had ok and I've had more that were tougher than boot leather. It's just easier to find a good eating cottontail or two, or even better to raise rabbits for meat purposes, then use jackrabbits as a raw meat source for the dog, he'll love you even if it is a stinkin' ol' jackrabbit.

Comment

[ATTACH]899821[/ATTACH]

Comment

no.

Comment

I have eaten them numerous times. IMO I compare them more to venison or pretty close. I have grilled, fried, baked and stewed them. All really good my favorite is chicken fried.

I do not gut them. Just take the backstraps, front and rear quarters. More meat on them then one can imagine. Jacks can grow a good size.

Comment

I kinda like mine hairless

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3701.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	24533748

Comment

My wife would shoot me if I shot a jackrabbit on our place.

Comment

A guy that used to come pheasant hunt with us every year when I was a kid always wanted me to get him a cottontail. He thought they were the best eatin thing there was. He said jackrabbit was tough and to leave them alone unless they're young ones. Then they're good to eat. He was in his 90's and probably forgot more about huntin any kind of game there is than I'll learn in my lifetime so I'll stand by what he said.

Comment

I’ve ate a few. Put em in the crock pot for 10-12 hours and they’ll fall off the bone. I’ve done stew and chilli... not the absolute best, but not bad either.

Comment

I have once. Probably the worst meat I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

http://https://honest-food.net/hare-stew-hard-times/

I cooked this awhile back. A couple of friends ended up coming over and eating it and one guy didn’t believe me when I told him it was a jack. Everyone ate it up. Delicious.

Comment

Working...
                                X