Questions about beetles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about beetles..

As many may know I've been doing European mounts for several years. I've done the boiling method mostly. But I'm ready to get beetles.
    Here's a few questions that come to mind but I'm sure I will have more. I have done some research with my googler but would like to hear from the GS.

My shop is not air conditioned and gets pretty hot in the summer. How would I keep them cool?
    My shop is very close to my house. How bad do they stink?
    Is there somebody reputable in the DFW area I can get some from and who will also help me get started?

TIA

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I'm confused. Whats Ringo and Paul and them got to do with this thread? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
      I took me a minute... Haha

Comment

They need ac, manly to keep the humidity down. Also, heat in the winter. The smell comes from any brains left in the skull or if your colony is too small and can't clean the meat before it starts to rot.

Comment

Start with small stuff. Then once you put a small critter head in and it's clean in hour or two go bigger. They will get where they clean a deer head in about 2 days. Still stink. Heaters are easy. I didn't use AC.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Start with small stuff. Then once you put a small critter head in and it's clean in hour or two go bigger. They will get where they clean a deer head in about 2 days. Still stink. Heaters are easy. I didn't use AC.
            Do you know of anyone local I can buy from?

My shop will get over 100 degrees in August. Is there anyway to keep the beetles cool with out air conditioning my entire shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
              That would be funny if he spelled "beetles" incorrectly, but . . . uh . . . he didn't.

Originally posted by glen View Post
              My beetles must be lazy. They take weeks and weeks to finish a deer skull.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                  That would be funny if he spelled "beetles" incorrectly, but . . . uh . . . he didn't.

My beetles must be lazy. They take weeks and weeks to finish a deer skull.
                  That is way too long. When I had beetles I could put a skull in there at 5pm one day and it was ready to go by 8am the next morning.

Comment

I don’t have AC on mine but my shop is insulated. Even on 100 degree days my enclosure doesn’t get over 90. My enclosure is made out of a freezer so that helps too. I do use a ceramic heat lamp tied into a thermostat during the winter. Keeps it around 75 degrees. I also have a bathroom exhaust fan that blows fresh air through the freezer.

The thing to know is that you can not throw a full deer head on there as it will take them a long time to clean and it will stink. I remove as much meat as possible including the eyeballs, brains and meat behind the ears. With a big enough colony they can clean a deer heat in about 2 days.

I bought my beetles from www.bonesandbugs.com

Let mw know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                      That is way too long. When I had beetles I could put a skull in there at 5pm one day and it was ready to go by 8am the next morning.
                      How many do you estimate you had?

Comment

I didn't know you were doing euro's. I live in Corinth, so would be easy to bring you a head. How much do you charge for a whitetail?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                          How many do you estimate you had?
                          after 10 years probably 70 or 80 thousand per tank. I had two freezers turned into tanks. Hoping to get back into beetles in the year or so. I ordered all my beetles from a Federal Game Warden in Alaska. Haven't had them in 6 or 7 years though, so not sure he still sells and ships them. I wouldn't start with less than 10-15K.

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
                            I didn't know you were doing euro's. I live in Corinth, so would be easy to bring you a head. How much do you charge for a whitetail?
                            PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
                              I don’t have AC on mine but my shop is insulated. Even on 100 degree days my enclosure doesn’t get over 90. My enclosure is made out of a freezer so that helps too. I do use a ceramic heat lamp tied into a thermostat during the winter. Keeps it around 75 degrees. I also have a bathroom exhaust fan that blows fresh air through the freezer.

The thing to know is that you can not throw a full deer head on there as it will take them a long time to clean and it will stink. I remove as much meat as possible including the eyeballs, brains and meat behind the ears. With a big enough colony they can clean a deer heat in about 2 days.

I bought my beetles from www.bonesandbugs.com

Let mw know if you have any other questions.
                              Unfortunately my shop is not insulated and gets very hot inside. I'm wondering if a small air cooler like the one pictured could be used some how. I may get with you in the near future.
                              Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                              after 10 years probably 70 or 80 thousand per tank. I had two freezers turned into tanks. Hoping to get back into beetles in the year or so. I ordered all my beetles from a Federal Game Warden in Alaska. Haven't had them in 6 or 7 years though, so not sure he still sells and ships them. I wouldn't start with less than 10-15K.
                              I believe the link that TxTech provided is the same guy..

Why so many?
                              How many would you need to clean a skull in 2-3 days?

Comment

Working...
                              X